Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: remodeling help

Post Thanks / Like

Default remodeling help

I am not a carpenter by any means. I have only once in my life tried to do any kind of work that resembled construction or remodeling. I have never watched it done or anything really. I took on a project of remodeling a room a few years ago. The work turned out very well. I was thinking of purchasing a small home that needs some cosmetic repairs. It has the real nice older hardwood floors. The finish and stain has several bad places in it. Overall though the hardwood looks great as far as the condition of it. No scratches or dings, just faded and bad coloring. I would want to recolor it and re finish it. What is the best way to do this? Would you need to sand it all down, then put a color stain and then a clear coat? What are some good products for this type of job. I want some nice color back into it. Also, I wanted to redo the walls and put up some bead board like paneling or the pine paneling. Would it be best to do the floors first and then do the walls and put some new trim up? Or would it be better to do the walls and then the floor? How hard is it to do tile if you have never done it? I thought of doing some tile in the bathroom and maybe as a backsplash for the kitchen. I would really like to do this work myself. Is there a way to cut tile decently without having a power tool tile cutter. Do they have tile cutters that you can cut them by hand instead of with a power tool and investing in that for just a one time job?

Post Thanks / Like

You can use a sander on the floors just make sure to go with the grain of the wood and you,ll want to put on two coats of polly after the first coat is dry sand off lightly with fine grain sandpaper always following the grain of the wood then add a second coat. They also make a tile cutter that you just scribe or score a line in the tile then push down on the handle to break it. hope this helps good luck on your project. Tags.

Post Thanks / Like

About your remodeling project, do your floors last. They'll look better and you won't risk messing them up with the other work.

I have an electric ceramic tile cutter you can borrow for as long as you need it, I'm not using it right now... and I don't think I'll need it for awhile.

Rent a floor sander from Home Depot to sand your floors with. It has a vacuum attachment that will collect most of the dust. You can buy a video at Home Depot that will show you how to redo your floors, or probably rent one from Blockbuster.

Let me know if you want to use the tile cutter. We could go out and catch a mess of crappie for you when you come to pick it up if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

GCD, please pm me your personal email address. I wanted to discuss something with you and the message is too big for sending on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    You can buy a video at Home Depot that will show you how to redo your floors, or probably rent one from Blockbuster.

alot of good stuff on youtube too for just about anything you want to tackle, just check out several and you'll get the idea of how to go about it
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Home depot also gives lessons on how to install tile....its not too hard.....just messy clean up....

none of what you are doing is too hard.....you can do anything with time and money....just gets harder as you get older.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have been watching stuff on youtube and it does not seem that hard really, however some of the videos are not real clear or cut and dry. They go fast and you cant tell much. Is it really that important to start from a center line and work out? Yes, I had thought about checking with home depot or Lowes to see if they had a class or soemthign I could take. I appreciate all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    Yes, I have been watching stuff on youtube and it does not seem that hard really, however some of the videos are not real clear or cut and dry. They go fast and you cant tell much. Is it really that important to start from a center line and work out? Yes, I had thought about checking with home depot or Lowes to see if they had a class or soemthign I could take. I appreciate all the help.
    they have those self help demos all the time, just depends on what they are pushing that weekend..........and as far as youtube, thats why i say watch all of em you can to figure stuff out............and the centerline out......if your talking tile, it makes everything look uniform and throws the partial pieces to the edge where it is not noticable
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Centerlines rule in the construction trade!

Post Thanks / Like

fishinrod, home depot had some nice how to videos that were pretty good. I finally saw the importance of the centerline. It just makes everything look more even around the edges and all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast