Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All day casting rod? Lenght, Balance, Etc.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All day casting rod? Lenght, Balance, Etc.

Crappie fishing is new to me, but I am going to do some this year. We have our local fishing/boat show (called Bassarama) coming on Jan 27-29. I want to buy a new spinning rod and reel. Primarily looking for a rod that I might cast with all day. I am used to baitcasters for bass, so I have to get more used to spinning gear. I have several set-ups, but they are not exactly what I would want to hold all day. So I have some questions for you folks.

1. Rod lenght is kinda personal, but what are the +/- of 5.5, 6, 6.5 or 7' rods?
    2. Action. I prefer a stiffer rod than a buggy whip, but is more limber sometimes better? I often wonder how people use something as limber as say, a Shakespear Ugly stick UL. I play with them are Walmart, they are like a noodle. Does that whipping action help with cast distance?
    3. Reel size/balance. Do you pick the reel first or the rod. Where should the balance point be? Right on the reel seat? Just in front?
    4. Spool shape. Long spool vs normal. Does one lead to less twist/tangles over a days time?
    5. Trigger on bail? Some of mine have it. It is fast and convenient, but does it lead to problems.

So, I know that is a lot to ask in one post. But what do you/would you choose if you had just one rod/reel to toss 1/8 oz and smaller jigs all day, what would it be? I am not a G. Loomis or St. Croix kinda guy ($$$). More like a Lightning rod kind of guy. What are your thoughts?

I wanted to ask for line brand/size for the above, but maybe that should be a thread all its own. I just bought a spool of PowerPro 10/2 to try.

Thanks guys and gals. Hook me up with something.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Well you will sure get a lot of different opinions here, but I use 6' rods, light action. I have a G Loomis and a Berkeley Series One. I love both. The Series One is lighter and very comfortable for me, but I use the Loomis more because it has a little better feel for me.
    I use Shimano Sedona 1500 reels, very smooth. I am currently using Trilene 6# line, tends to get messy though when float fishing, wants to tangle up too bad so I will be trying a different kind.

All in all though, its a personal preference. Just get what is in your price range and what feels comfortable to you and you cant go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your budget?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question. I will admit I am cheap. How about no more than about $120 for the combo. I won't pay $100 for a rod. I don't take care of my stuff well enough to warrant that. Plus, I take kid fishing quite a bit, and stuff get broken.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Default I would get

a sam heaton 7' for casting unless you are casting in heavy cover then go shorter. Match it with a small reel and 4# test and your off. For line I would go to Silver thread and not power pro for your first few trips
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm casting, I like a 6.5' light action rod. I currently use Cabela's Tourney Trail rods. I've had them for about 20 years. For the reel, I use Quantum Catalyst 10 PTs these days. I had some Shimano reels the same vintage as the rods. They were a little heavier than the Quantum reels. Hence the switch. The Quantums are light, just the right size to hold 100 to 120 yards of 4# line (or 10/2 PowerPro), and well balanced. I can use one all day and my puny arms do not get tired.

I was at BPS over the weekend and noticed the Quantum Catalyst 10 PT reels are on sale for $60.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Wally Marshall signature or Lite series Rods. Team them up with his Pro spinning reel and you"ve got a good outfit well in your budget. I fish 225+ days a year and these 2 rods are by far my favorites!!With a Shimano Reel there dandy too!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Well Ranger ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690
    Crappie fishing is new to me, but I am going to do some this year. We have our local fishing/boat show (called Bassarama) coming on Jan 27-29. I want to buy a new spinning rod and reel. Primarily looking for a rod that I might cast with all day. I am used to baitcasters for bass, so I have to get more used to spinning gear. I have several set-ups, but they are not exactly what I would want to hold all day. So I have some questions for you folks.

1. Rod lenght is kinda personal, but what are the +/- of 5.5, 6, 6.5 or 7' rods?
    2. Action. I prefer a stiffer rod than a buggy whip, but is more limber sometimes better? I often wonder how people use something as limber as say, a Shakespear Ugly stick UL. I play with them are Walmart, they are like a noodle. Does that whipping action help with cast distance?
    3. Reel size/balance. Do you pick the reel first or the rod. Where should the balance point be? Right on the reel seat? Just in front?
    4. Spool shape. Long spool vs normal. Does one lead to less twist/tangles over a days time?
    5. Trigger on bail? Some of mine have it. It is fast and convenient, but does it lead to problems.

So, I know that is a lot to ask in one post. But what do you/would you choose if you had just one rod/reel to toss 1/8 oz and smaller jigs all day, what would it be? I am not a G. Loomis or St. Croix kinda guy ($$$). More like a Lightning rod kind of guy. What are your thoughts?

I wanted to ask for line brand/size for the above, but maybe that should be a thread all its own. I just bought a spool of PowerPro 10/2 to try.

Thanks guys and gals. Hook me up with something.

Dayton
    OK .... one question at a time: (and IMHO)

1> longer rods cast further, pick up slack faster, absorb shock of hookset better (given the action/power of the rods are similar)
    2> limber rods "vibrate" on the cast, causing more line friction against the guides ... if you like a stronger action/power blank - look for a "fast taper"
    3> I pick the "method" I'm going to use it for, first ... then choose the rod action/power/length ... then choose the reel that balances/matches best with that rod/method. Balance point "should" be where your "pointing" finger naturally falls on the handle, when you grip the rod to cast with. Forward of that, and the outfit is "tip heavy" - back from that and the outfit is "butt heavy". For casting purposes - a little tip or butt heavy isn't much to be concerned with. For vertical jigging - the closer to the balance point, the better .. because it doesn't strain your wrist & forearm as much. And even a "little" butt heavy is better than "tip heavy", in this case.
    4> spool "size" is more important for mono use. The wider line spools will not set as tight of coils as a small one will ... casts will be farther with a wider spool. Longer spools are designed for longer casts, but still cause tighter coils in mono (it's relative to the "width" of the spool, and line capacity). UL's are "lighter", but generally smaller - giving rise to less line capacity. Less line capacity means tighter coils in line, as your line gets closer to the spool base. Twists & tangles are the result of the bait "spinning", as it's cast (or retrieved, in some cases or with certain baits) ... plus, closing the bail by turning the handle adds twists. Close bail manually, by hand, after cast is made, and you eliminate one twist in line (per cast). Periodically removing bait and "trolling" the first 50yds behind the boat at idle speed for a few minutes, will "untwist" the line to a great degree.
    5> triggers on reel = no instant anti-reverse. When reel has a trigger, the bail must "center" the line roller at the top (finger pickup point). This type of reel is good for "quick" casts. Reels w/o trigger = instant anti-reverse. This is helpful when you get bit as soon as bait enters water. Reel is engaged when bail is closed, and no "centering" is needed. I've had no particular problems from either.

With $120/combo budget ... you shouldn't have any problem getting a very nice outfit - ALL of my "jig casting" outfits could be purchased for well less than that.

And on the subject of PowerPro 10/2 ..... I tried it on a UL outfit, and didn't much care for it. I'm currently using it on a 6ft Browning Med action rod/Shimano Spirex 2000 reel (trigger reel). Even with the stiffer action rod, the casts are as long as my "lighter" outfits can throw the same weight jig on 4-6lb mono.

.............. luck2ya .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ugly Stik 5' Light action ( a little stiffer than UL) and Shimano Spirex rear drag reels. I find that a short limber rod is more accurate than the longer ones. Not to brag too much but I can hit a milk jug at twenty yards with my 7' Wally Marshall Pro series, with that 5' US I can thread the handle. Lots of practice fly fishing for trout in our narrow creeks, you either get good or spend all day retying your leaders.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you dont plan on taking care of your equipment and dont care if the kids break them, as you stated in your post, get some cheap stuff from walmart. I take my grandson fishing and i've taught him to respect his pole or he wont get another one. He also uses my st croix 5'6" ul too. His is a b&m 5'6" dockshooter rod with a zebco underspin. He's 7. Get a quality setup and take care of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast