Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging Speed And Hook

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging Speed And Hook

Will a fish hook itself at 1 mph? I am getting to get ready to try this type of troll fishing. Fish will hook themselves longlining but I was wondering if it is the same while SR fishing?

The reason I ask is that my boat will not go under 1 mph with the 55 thrust. With its slowest setting I still go .9 to 1.2. So I figure maybe I should set up for a cross between long lining and spider rigging.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have gathered on this site that may be an ok speed for the summer, but they also change the speed they will bite at. To get slower you would have to either bump the power or use either a drift sock or buckets to slow you down.

Post Thanks / Like

dont know about 1mph, but 1.5 to 2 ive had them hook themselves, i still set the hook to make sure though. also try throwing something off the side of the boat for drag, i use a throw net, like oldwiskers said, use a drift sock or a bucket
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig to target specific cover drop off's, depths etc....slower speed generally works better for this method. Just bump your trolling motor every now and then to keep your speed down.

Post Thanks / Like

The other day out fishing there was a guy trolling for trout. He was catching fish every time he went buy me where I was Anchored. I asked him how fast he was trolling and he said 2 miles per hour. He was catching trout and a lot of crappie also. So I would say two mph isn't two fast too troll for crappie. Him and his partner had one pole each.

Post Thanks / Like

I slow troll at 1.7 to 2mph and some times just let the wind push me, and sometimes .5mph, I let the crappie tell me what they want, so try different speeds and use the bucket or drift sock.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with BradBrad. In the summer I will longline with horse head jigs but I REALLY prefer to slow troll using live baits. The slower the better in that situation for me.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also buy an extra TM prop and trim the blades down to displace less water....a tedious endeavor...but something to think about....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jones View Post
    The other day out fishing there was a guy trolling for trout. He was catching fish every time he went buy me where I was Anchored. I asked him how fast he was trolling and he said 2 miles per hour. He was catching trout and a lot of crappie also. So I would say two mph isn't two fast too troll for crappie. Him and his partner had one pole each.
    we long line cranks and roadrunners any where from .8 to 2 mph, just this week we got in to em good but, if you went under 1.8 mph it just wasnt happening, stayed at 1.9 they went nuts (my gps was bouncing from 1.9 to 2mph) on the bandits. 2mph under the right condtitions is for sure not to fast for crappie from what we have experienced (more than once), hope yall have a great weekend, God bless yall.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, fish will hook them at 1 mph. Sometimes you will see the rod tip jumping and have to lift the rod to set the hook. I have caught thousands of crappie spider rigging at .8 to 1.2 mph. They will even take a bait at that seed in the winter if they are active.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast