Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catfish Replacing Our Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catfish Replacing Our Crappie

Rigrunner and I always catch our share of crappie here at Fort Cobb Lake but last Fall the catfish moved into our brush piles. These brush piles were always good for hundreds of crappie but now all we catch is catfish. I think the crappie became food for the cats for we found some crappie in the catfish. Been catching channel cats and blue cats every day now. They run from 2 pounds to 14 pounds. Just maybe when we get them all cleaned out of our brush piles, our crappie will return?
    Photo is this morning's catch with nephew Dakota Green, Rigrunner, grandson Kelton Green and son-in-law Robbie Green. The did the same yesterday. Probably a fish fry in the very need future.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of catfish though. :D Congrats on the catch.

Post Thanks / Like

There's probably some truth to that claim SW. When I was growing up, you hardly heard about Blues. We put a few in some ponds and strip pits where there were only Channels and Flatheads. Within a few years, those ponds and strip pits had mostly Blue cats, and they grew fast!

We use to catch mostly Channels at Eufaula and some really good ones at that, now it's mostly Blues and a good Channel cat is rare (10lb plus).

I think in 10 years or so, the Blue Cat will be regarded just like Kentucky Bass are now. Don't get me wrong, I like Blue cats, but I don't think the Wildlife guys know them quite as well as they think they do.

Remember when they were stocking Kentucky's and telling how great they were?

Post Thanks / Like

Gee- OKIEDON the best of both worlds. Plenty of blues and plenty of Kentuckies. I love them both. Teasing aside. Yes, both are agressive. Too many people C&R Kentucks and LMB when they should harvest both because we have too many. C&R has gone way too far overboard. The "good ole days" are right now. I would rather catch a spunky Kentucky than a LMB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    Too many people C&R Kentucks and LMB when they should harvest both because we have too many. C&R has gone way too far overboard.
    I couldn't agree with you more CG! That's why I introduce every legal LMB and keeper size Kentucky to the fillet knife!

I don't fish specifically for black bass of any kind any longer, but I don't have any hangups about keepin' 'em if they're eating size. The smaller spots make good cut or live bait for those Blues!

Post Thanks / Like

nice color on them cats...real nice....

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing wrong with a nice mess of Catfish. They are still very good eating. Enjoy your fish fry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PBUG2009 View Post
    nice color on them cats...real nice....
    You are right, PBUG. The color is really nice and they are real clean...no worms but most of all they sure are good eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhiskers View Post
    Nice mess of catfish though. :D Congrats on the catch.
    Thanks oldwhiskers...they taste great along with hushpuppies, corn on the cob and a big cobbler along with sweet ice tea......hungry yet?