Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: fast action vs slow action

Post Thanks / Like

Default fast action vs slow action

what is the advantage and disadvantage of 'slow action' Ultra Light rod over
    'fast action' Ultra Light rod?
    which one do you favor for crappie fishing?
    Last edited by microsat; 06-03-2010 at 08:01 AM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Micro ...

Quote Originally Posted by microsat View Post
    As I understand it :

Slow action = rod bend is over the greater portion (length) of the rod. Or in other words, a "soft" action, or parabolic bend. The rod bends in a shape like this ... )

Fast action = rod tip bends easily, but majority of rod length is stiffer & offers more power (on hookset & fish fighting capabilities). Rod bend is more of a "J" shape

Don't know as there's much advantage/disadvantage to either ... they both work - I use rods that have both "actions", and use them interchangably (for the type of fishing I do most ... as in "casting/shooting jigs"). They "are" different .. but, if you have your drag set correctly, for the action (power) of the rod, then you don't usually need to think too much about it :p

I set the hook the same way, regardless of what length or action rod I'm using ... because I know I've set the drag to give, before the lb test force has been exceeded.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I just read a new UL book (I'll do a "book report" later ), and the author talked about the "old days" of UL spinning (roughly, the 1940's through the late 1960's.) He said all the experts of that time favored softer, slower action rods. They believed they did a much better job of casting light baits and protecting light line. I agree. I do have some pretty fast UL rods, though.

I would "try before you buy". There is no consistency in rod ratings. One company's light rod is another company's UL. For example, Falcon UL rods have a much faster action than St. Croix Avids. They're both nice rods, but the actions are completely different.

You will find differences even with a certain brand. Loomis SJR rods are much faster than Loomis SR rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Fast action rods will feel the bite better. Slower action rods will show the bite better. I like to feel for the thump so faster action for me.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I troll (longline), spider rig, and nightstalk so for me it's nothing but the slow action rods. I wanna see the rod bending BEFORE the fish even knows the hook is in his mouth.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like a moderate action on my jig rods, all other applications I like a fast action. I think it all depends on how you like to fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I just read a new UL book (I'll do a "book report" later ), and the author talked about the "old days" of UL spinning (roughly, the 1940's through the late 1960's.) He said all the experts of that time favored softer, slower action rods. They believed they did a much better job of casting light baits and protecting light line. I agree. I do have some pretty fast UL rods, though.

I would "try before you buy". There is no consistency in rod ratings. One company's light rod is another company's UL. For example, Falcon UL rods have a much faster action than St. Croix Avids. They're both nice rods, but the actions are completely different.

You will find differences even with a certain brand. Loomis SJR rods are much faster than Loomis SR rods.
    Who sells these Falcon UL rods? I have seen the ST. Croix rods but I haven't seen the Falcon rod, I am looking for a rod with a fast action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    Who sells these Falcon UL rods? I have seen the ST. Croix rods but I haven't seen the Falcon rod, I am looking for a rod with a fast action.
    Bass Pro sells Falcon rods. Cabela's should also.

There are lots of good fast action rods on the market. Check out Shimano rods, too. Shimano rods are very underrated, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by microsat View Post
    very simple

what bait r u fishing with?

slow action is for live bait fishing, the fish will generally hold on to live bait longer than it will anything else. slow action is much more forgiving, your not as apt to pull the bait away from the fish.

fast action is for jig fishing where the fish hits the jig or soft plastic and knows instantly that it just aint right. fast action is for just such an occasion when u have to react quickly to pop the jig hook into the fishes mouth very very quickly, before he spits it out.

sure there are tinme that a fish will run with a jig and times when he will just taste live bait.

if'n i was u i would have 1 for each type of fishing such as i do! i would never use my jig rod for live bait and vice versa
    Stinkies Daddy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Countryboy ....

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    I am looking for a rod with a fast action.
    These rods are fast action : ESP Rods - Stowmaster Inc.
    They're also slightly less expensive here : Noreseman ESP Series

I'm currently using a 6'6" Power Lite, and a 9' Power Jig ESP rod. Very nice rods, especially if you like Tenn Handles. The "poodle tail" handle extensions may be a minor inconvenience, when used in some rod holders ... but, I used them that way (once) and had little trouble with them. Since I use most of my rods for casting, this is not a factor to me.
    (Note: the pictures of the rods, longer than 6'6" may be a bit misleading ... the exposed rod blank in the "poodle tail" handle extension, is thicker than shown in the pictures. The rod blanks go thru the handle, and would be the same thickness/size as the blank is before going thru the handle. The handle pics are all of the same rod handle, and are just there to show the general idea of what the rod handle looks like, and not necessarily to scale.) Blanks are IM6 fast taper, high modulus graphite.

Pic of rod handle :

The rubber slip rings allow you to move your reel, on the handle, to find the balance point with whatever reel you choose to use. (I still use elec tape to secure the reel to the handle, though) The blank runs thru the handle, and inside the handle there's metallic discs that the blank runs thru ... these discs help resonate any vibrations, from the rod blank to the graphite handle itself, to increase the sensitivity. The company, Norseman Outdoors, calls this VAT ... Vibration Amplification Technology.
    The "gathering guide" (first big line guide) and the tip are ceramic insert guides ... as these are the major 'wear points' for line going thru the guides. The remaining guides are SS guides ... for reduced rod weight.

I also have a 5' ESP rod (pre-production fieldtest rod), that I've used for several years, now. It's my primary dock shooter rod. It does not have a "poodle tail" handle extention. (just FYI) ... handle looks like the pic in the Grizzly Jig link

... cp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast