Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info on Millwood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info on Millwood

Looking for any info about Millwood. Are they doing anything, where to launch, is there a main channel or river, patterns, depth. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks R & R
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some information on that lake for you. You can do a web search and find out lots on it. Just type in Millwood Lake Arakansas and you will do OK. here are two sites for you to look at the first is a Topo of the lake that you can click on and go in closer or look to the top right and you will see "Aerial Photo" Click on that and you will get a Photo of the lake. You can zoom in on it to by click on it. You will figure it out I am sure.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...X=63&Y=583&W=3

www.southwestpaddler.com/

Here is a site that is for Paddlers but has some information on it you might find helpfull. On this one click on the Arkansas flag and the click on Little on the right side. Then look to the bottom and click on Millwood lake. Just some informaiton on it.

http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/fi...r.htm#Millwood

This was the best fishing report I could find.

Hope those work for you if not just do a search and you will get a lot of information on it. Ron :D
    Last edited by MTM; 01-16-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Millwood

Me and my wife where there last weekend when the winds were blowing 20 to 30. The fishing was awsome. We were using vibric rostertails on a flat adjacent to the wilton access north of ashtown on the little river. The White bass were spawning so it was tough keeping the lure in the lake long enough to get to the crappie. We caught about 300 whites and about 85 crappie. We kept about 30 largest being 2.5 lbs. We caught catfish and bass in this same area. I think we just caught it at the right time. The fish had been in the main channel in the hurricane creek/Mud lake/McQuire/ area up to that point. There were a bunch of boats in that area so we hung around the Little River area.

On Saturday, when it was cooler, we fished an area called cut-off creek near the dam. It is about 23 ft with an adjacent 9 foot flat. Typically do well with a 2" firetiger grub if there suspended or minnows if there deep. Hope this helps some. The fishing has been really good according to other reports.

The main channel runs about 20' to 25' in the little river. The main lake averages about 8 ft. Numerous sloughs and lakes throughout. The most consistent fishing for us is near the dam or in April near the state park. The little river has enough oxbows in it to keep you busy for a week. As you can tell, I am a big fan of this lake.

Michael
    Last edited by spikles2; 01-16-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spikles2
    Me and my wife where there last weekend when the winds were blowing 20 to 30. The fishing was awsome. We were using vibric rostertails on a flat adjacent to the wilton access north of ashtown on the little river. The White bass were spawning so it was tough keeping the lure in the lake long enough to get to the crappie. We caught about 300 whites and about 85 crappie. We kept about 30 largest being 2.5 lbs. We caught catfish and bass in this same area. I think we just caught it at the right time. The fish had been in the main channel in the hurricane creek/Mud lake/McQuire/ area up to that point. There were a bunch of boats in that area so we hung around the Little River area.

On Saturday, when it was cooler, we fished an area called cut-off creek near the dam. It is about 23 ft with an adjacent 9 foot flat. Typically do well with a 2" firetiger grub if there suspended or minnows if there deep. Hope this helps some. The fishing has been really good according to other reports.

The main channel runs about 20' to 25' in the little river. The main lake averages about 8 ft. Numerous sloughs and lakes throughout. The most consistent fishing for us is near the dam or in April near the state park. The little river has enough oxbows in it to keep you busy for a week. As you can tell, I am a big fan of this lake.

Michael

Thanks spikles2, for the info. Am thinking about camping at Cottonshed when I come, is this close to where I need to launch or is there another launch I need to launch at to get to the River where you were catching your fish? Thanks R & R

Post Thanks / Like

are there any places to stay on or around Millwood Spikles? Where do people typically lodge if they visit this lake?

Carppoop

Post Thanks / Like

CarpPoop- Here you go.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=26

Ashdown Arkansas is 9 miles west of the lake. Should be a Motel there.

http://www.ashdownar.org/

Just in case you couldn't find it. Click on Chamber of Commerce then on Lodging and you will find 3 places to stay in town.

http://www.ashdownar.org/businessindex.html

Ron
    Last edited by MTM; 01-17-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTM
    Here is some information on that lake for you. You can do a web search and find out lots on it. Just type in Millwood Lake Arakansas and you will do OK. here are two sites for you to look at the first is a Topo of the lake that you can click on and go in closer or look to the top right and you will see "Aerial Photo" Click on that and you will get a Photo of the lake. You can zoom in on it to by click on it. You will figure it out I am sure.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...X=63&Y=583&W=3

www.southwestpaddler.com/

Here is a site that is for Paddlers but has some information on it you might find helpfull. On this one click on the Arkansas flag and the click on Little on the right side. Then look to the bottom and click on Millwood lake. Just some informaiton on it.

http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/fi...r.htm#Millwood

This was the best fishing report I could find.

Hope those work for you if not just do a search and you will get a lot of information on it. Ron :D

Thanks for the info MTM.................... Later R & R

Post Thanks / Like

My gosh...im looking at this map on terraserver of Millwood zoomed in and its a maze! Do people get lost on this lake? Man it looks like if you made a wrong turn you would be asking for directions back to civilization!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info on Millwood

Cottonshed landing is on the north side of the lake. The Saline River channel runs pretty close to the landing. I think it averages about 9 ft. deep. The surrounding water is EXTREMELY wooded and averages about 4 ft. I do not fish this area so I do not know the specifics. That section of the lake is full of timber.

The Jack's Isle area is the hot area right now. You cannot go wrong fishing Mud lake, Hurricane Creek or McQuire. These areas are about 6 miles from Cottonshed. I do not fish like most crappie fisherman. Most fisherman use minnows in February or March. I love a chartruse vibric roostertail fished just above cover. The fish usually hit it on the drop. Another bait we have success on is a 2" firetiger grub.

The best thing to do is to get a topo map of the area. Find the channel at least 15ft. deep with an adjacent flat where the fish can move up to feed. This is a goood place to start. If cover is present, you will catch fish.

If you have the time, put in at the Wilton Landing north of Ashdown on the Little River. The A-OK motel is clean an under $40.00. WE usually camp at Millwood State Park. One of the better campground in Arkansas.

You are exactly right about it being a maze.There are areas to find that people don't fish. The maps do not show everything. Hope this helps!!!!!

Michael (We may go this weekend)