PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What line do you use for casting and jigging

robbor
01-16-2006, 02:47 AM
I have stuck with 2-4# Berkely XL but think I an going to switch to silver thread, when I used it in the past it was smaller diam in 4#. so I was thinking of switching to 4-6# for that occasional bass.

CrappiePappy
01-16-2006, 09:11 AM
I use:
BPS Excel clear/blue in 4lb test
Trilene XL clear/blue in 4 & 6lb test
Iron Silk Solar Mint in 4 & 6lb test
Trilene Premium Strength Photochromic in 4lb test
PowerPro braid Yellow in 10/2 (10lb test/2lb diameter)

I cast 95% of the time ... and I'm a line watcher - so the Iron Silk & PowerPro are my main lines of choice. But, I've had no appreciable problems from the other lines mentioned, either (other than being hard to see).

I've heard good reports on Silver Thread, McCoy's Mean Green, and Ande lines ... but have never used them.

I used to use Trilene XT Solar & Stren Gold ... but, found them to be a little stiff and prone to coils (after being on reel for a while). Trilene XT has been discontinued. My fishing partner still uses Stren Gold, with good results.

luck2ya ......cp :cool:

justfish
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I use 4# P-Line for my casting or pitching. 6# if I am trolling.

robbor
01-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Ive used power pro on spinning reels and the stuff always tangles up on me and forms little knots. Ive gotten to the point where I hate the stuff. I also used it a few times last year fishing a jetty in the ocean and it broke more that mono that was 5# or more lighter.

robbor
01-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Anybody used the RED CAJUN line?

Barnacle Bill
01-16-2006, 01:58 PM
CP are you using that Power Pro 10/2 on a spinning reel? If anyone is having problems with their super line on a spinning reel try spraying the line with silicon. It works just as good as reel magic if not better plus its cheaper.

horseshoer
01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
I like 6# Ande and 4-6# Trilene XL but the Ande for some reason is tops. I
have come to the conclusion that the dia. reel spool you are casting from makes a big difference and not really accurate to say 1 particular line is best
regardless of that factor. And to find that magic point at which the reel is loaded to the max for casting range but not the little bit too much where you have the "drop off" loops when opening the bail. I am talking spinning reels
which is what I prefer.
Jeff

bella
01-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Down here in Texas the Walley Marshall yellow line works great but not when its real cold . I use power pro then & have not had any problems. YET

J White
01-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I guess this is kind of pointless, BUT - I'm still miffed at Berkley for
discontinuing the old "UltraThin" that was some good stuff :(

crappieseeker
01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I agree with you robbor on the knots and tangles, but I thought it was some very stout line myself. I wont buy anymore of it though.

SteveJ
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
I guess this is kind of pointless, BUT - I'm still miffed at Berkley for
discontinuing the old "UltraThin" that was some good stuff :(

I think the Tri-Max was the best mono they ever put out. So I'm miffed about that.

CrappiePappy
01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
CP are you using that Power Pro 10/2 on a spinning reel? If anyone is having problems with their super line on a spinning reel try spraying the line with silicon. It works just as good as reel magic if not better plus its cheaper.

I have the PowerPro 10/2 on a Shimano Spirex 2000/6ft Browning Med power rod. I don't even set the hook, half the time :D ... I just keep reeling. I mostly use this rod/reel/line with Roadrunners. They hit and I just "wrist jerk" and keep reeling (more out of habit, than necessity ;) ) I haven't found it necessary to use any silicone or Real Magic spray on the line.

It will get "wind knots" on occasion ... but, mostly when it's very windy and I'm casting "fast". With a lighter power/action rod, I probably wouldn't have that problem as much. And, one must realize that the diameter of the line is equal to 2lb test mono and limp as a wet noodle ... quick wrist snap casts, under windy conditions, with a light bait are going to cause "wind knots" to occasionally occur. I'd probably have fewer problems with that, too ... if I would take the time to "untwist" the line, every now & then (like I do for my mono lines). ......... luck2ya ....... cp :cool:

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Stren #6

speedy
01-18-2006, 04:59 AM
I use this for trolling, dock shooting and casting. Use the brite yellow color
I'm a line watcher.
Not a bad price either. Oh I forgot to mention I use 4 lb test line.

crichison
01-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Anyone ever use the Cabela's brand "Ripcord Si" it's their super line, comparable with the Power Pro. I use it on my bass rig, might try the 15/4 or the 25/6 in high vis yellow with the new crappie rig. It has a silicon coating on it from the factory so it slides easily and low memory.

tarheel
01-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Stren 6# Lo-Vis. Too much chance of hooking into a good catfish for anything less than 6# where I fish.

Greenwing
01-22-2006, 07:41 PM
I use P-Line CX premium on all my crappie combos and some my bass combos the ones I dont use CX Premium I use P-Line CXX-Xtra-strong

fishdoc
01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
recently switched from clear blue stren to bps excel in #4 for castin and #6 for trollin...can't tell the difference...except in price..seems i can see the clear blue better in the water color we have round here most of the time!! or maybe i'm just gettin old and goin blind!lol

SweetHomeAlabama
01-23-2006, 01:21 PM
8# Stren, Low-Vis Green.

captnhazelwood69
01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I have put 4 lb. Cajun Red Ice Line on my ice fishing rods last week. So far, I'm impressed. It seems to be tough but does not coil up like Stren Gold. I have only used it through the ice & in moderatly cold weather.

Crappie Crazy Canuck