Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do weedless jigs work???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do weedless jigs work???

A while back I tried some timber rock jigheads, i forget who makes them but I missed every fish that bit, know of any that really work well???
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Robbor ....

I don't know about "timber rock jigheads" ... but, I've been using Oldham's Surelock Weedless Crappie jigheads for years, and they've worked fine. They're only shortcoming is when the weedguard gets bent up (it's a thin wire loop). I've also been using P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads ... brush style. I've pretty much gone to just using them, and using the Oldham's as "backup stock".

Paul Mullins of P&S Custom Tackle can be reached at: [email protected]
    He can custom make weedless jigheads pretty much any way you want them.
    Paul is a Crappie.com member, and a great guy to deal with.

Oldham's Surelock's only come in 1/16oz - they have a flattened oval head, and the weedguard is a thin wire loop that comes out of the head and slips under the hook point. They are unpainted, and they retail for around $3.50 for a pk of 8 (or something like that ... I haven't purchased any in a while).
    Terry Oldham can be reached at: 1-800-596-2436 (he doesn't have a website, that I know of). If you're looking for a jighead for tubes, grubs, etc. ... and you thread the bodies on the hook - Surelocks are the ones you want (he makes several different types, but only two for Crappie ... Speed Loaders & Surelocks. NOTE: Speedloaders are more of an "insert" style head, and are shaped like the big end of a baseball bat. They come in 1/32 & 1/16oz).

I've used both of these guys products with great success ... I throw them on 4-6lb test mono, and with rods from Microlite to Light action rods. 95% of the time I get a solid hookup, with the hook buried in the roof of the fish's mouth. .
    If you decide to contact either or both of these gentlemen, tell'em I sent ya !! ......... luck2ya ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Try Stick Guards instead of weedless jigs you won't be disappointed, I have used them for years, and wouldn't fish the brush without them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not much a jig guy, but have caught fish on both the ball heads with
    a single wire guard, and Charlie Brewer slider heads, with the hook buried
    in the grub, like a Texas rig worm - I was surprised, didn't notice a big diff
    in hooking ability. I was a little disappointed though that they still get hung
    up some, even if not as bad - I think they are wedging into forks in limbs,
    or something
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with crappiepappy Oldhams work great in brush piles.

BIG LEO

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey JW ....

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    I'm not much a jig guy, but have caught fish on both the ball heads with
    a single wire guard, and Charlie Brewer slider heads, with the hook buried
    in the grub, like a Texas rig worm - I was surprised, didn't notice a big diff
    in hooking ability. I was a little disappointed though that they still get hung
    up some, even if not as bad - I think they are wedging into forks in limbs,
    or something
    That's why they call them "weedless" jigs, and not "snagless" jigs :D
    Seriously though - most of the hang-ups that occur for me, are usually when the line gets snagged, or the jighead itself gets hung. I rarely have a "hook" get stuck in the cover.
    I posted, some time ago, about "bowing to the jig" as a way to help prevent getting a jighead hung in the fork of a limb, or in a tangle of branches, etc. I'll have to dig that one up, if I can find it, and post it again. It really has helped me keep from getting snagged up very often. ........ cp