Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Vacation Information?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vacation Information?

Just throwing this out there into space....if you were coming to arkansas and wanted to crappie fish a good lake that has lodging on the water but isnt overrun with water skiers, houseboats, and crotch rockets and isnt close to a heavily populated urban area in early April where would it be? Just curious if anyone can think of a place as described above. I cant seem to locate one on the internet. All of the lakes that fit the description have no lodging besides camping. Thanks for any advice.

carppoop

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would be safe from all the recreational users anywhere in April, its still pretty cool that time of year. I would think it would deoend on how large an impoundment you are looking for. Most all of the Corp lakes here are away from population centers and offer excellent camping accomadations.Check out Lake Greeson, thats where Jerry and Darryl guide out of and they are always catching fish it seems.Hope this helps.

3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Hey CP:

You won't have any trouble with lake lice in April and it's a great time for crappie fishing - the spawn will be on. Lake Hamilton is under-fished for crappie and there is a wide variety of lodging facilities right on the water with docks to keep your boat in.

I would be happy to line you up on some places to fish whether or not you feel you need a guide. I have a lot of clients that take a half-day trip and I help them mark the spots we fish on their GPS so they have places to fish on their own for the rest of their vacation if that would interest you.

If you are considering the first week in April check out the Crappie Camp post on the main board.

If you have any other questions or if there is anything I can do to help plan your trip please don't hesitate to ask.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideal vacation spot

For me and my wife, nothing beats Lake Austell for crappie in April. They offer cabins right on the lake. It is by far my favorite state park in Arkansas. Most fisherman who go there are there for the 10+ pound bass. You may not see another crappie fisherman. The park is between Wynne and Forrest City. Lake Dunn which is within the park is one of the better catfishing lakes I have been to. I noticed in your post you seemed to want to be out of the way. Forrest City is 10 minutes away. I hope this helps some.

Another spot closer to home for me is Lake Millwood. I cannot even begin to describe it for crappie in April. If you want to get away from everyone, the little river north of ashdown is nice. you could fish it for a week and not find all the oxbows off of it. I could go on but I will quit.

Hope this helps!!!!

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Default CarpPoop..check your PM's

Sent you a private message

Post Thanks / Like

Great information and advice!! Kenny I read your PM...im gonna research that this evening as well as the other suggestions. Spickles...i saw you recommended that area before...and im real anxious to give that a shot. I was in Wynne last year in fact on business and had no idea those lakes were that close. Jerry...very gracious of you to offer advice whether we get a guide or not... .Ive read your reports and it looks like a wonderful area with all the water. I was just a bit shy of it because i was worried about boat traffic and fishing pressure being so close to the Hot Springs area. Im not much for crowds. Down at Kentucky Lake you sometimes have to wait in line to get to the fish there are so many boats in the hot areas. Thats not fishing to me. Another example was a pic I saw one time from Toledo Bend and there must have been 50 boats in a 100 yard area. Throw in the recreation boaters and its a mess. Maybe I have the wrong impression of Lake Hamilton?

Post Thanks / Like

Beaver Lake in NW arkansas is not full of recreational boats until May. There are several cabins and a few resorts on the water. Fishing is outstanding for crappie, bass, white bass, stripers as well as walleye at that time. Just click on my service below and go to the places to stay page. The coppermine lodge is a nice place to go that's on the water, it's located just off the main channel of the lake.Another one is the Tanglewood lodge, it's on the water also. Most of the cabins are on the northern part of the lake, I don't fish up there very often so I only have one link for a cabin. There are several cabins to choose from, just do a little research and I'm sure you could find one! Beaver would be a good choice but you can't go wrong with Hamilton either!
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll like Arkansas where ever you choose to go!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Lake

Check out Nimrod south of Russellville. It's about 25 miles south from there with camping and showers. But no local hotels. Dardenelle is a lake right in town on the Arkansas River. Plenty of accomadations there in Russellville. Still close enough for day trips to Blue Mountain and Nimrod Lakes. These are good crappie lakes with little recreational boating till usually late May or June. For more details on lakes see www.agfc.com the game and fish commission website.

Good fishing and lots of luck
    NIMROD:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nimrod....im looking into your suggestion as well....man this is great....you guys are keeping me busy. Anyone else wanna throw in a suggestion?