Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Spill in the Gulf..it happened before

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Spill in the Gulf..it happened before

OIl spill in the Gulf - - It happened before

You have got to watch this news clip!

Did you know that there was a massive oil spill in the Gulf, from an exploding oil rig, that occurred in 1979? Everything is exactly the same as what is happening right now. All of the techniques being used right now to stop the oil leak were tried in 1979 and all failed, as they are doing now. It is depressing to think that thirty-one years after a massive oil spill the oil companies have not improved one bit in formulating techniques and plans to avert this disaster. Oh, in 1979 they finally got the leak sealed off by drilling a relief well, only it took them nine months to get this relief well drilled and shut down the escaping oil. It sure looks like we are in for hard time that will last long into the future.

Click on the link below to view the news video.

The more oil spills change, the more they stay the same. [VIDEO]
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

According to BP and other experts there's currently 2 relief wells being worked on, but won't be ready until august/september... and the original estimates of 200,000 gallons of oil daily pouring into the gulf is really 798,000 gallons daily making this as of right now twice as bad as the Exxon Valdez spill... and the worst disaster in US history. If they can't stop this leak the entire Gulf Coast doesn't stand a chance.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSUguy View Post
    According to BP and other experts there's currently 2 relief wells being worked on, but won't be ready until august/september... and the original estimates of 200,000 gallons of oil daily pouring into the gulf is really 798,000 gallons daily making this as of right now twice as bad as the Exxon Valdez spill... and the worst disaster in US history. If they can't stop this leak the entire Gulf Coast doesn't stand a chance.
    Well, the Gulf and the Texas and Mexican beaches survived the Ixtoc blowout. And that well flowed a lot longer than the MC 252 well is being predicted to flow.
    And that Ixtoc well was a good one, too!
    Also, I'd be a bit reluctant to believe any numbers that relate to the output of the BP well. That's hard enough to estimate at the surface - a mile down in the ocean and it's next to impossible. Sure, the big number is possible, but BP is going to have to pay the Fed royalty on the lost oil, and the Fed stands to make a BUNCH more money by declaring the big number.
    I'd like to see how they prove it - SOLID proof, not by abstract formulas.
    798000 gallons? Come on - that's from a formula that contains a LOT of uncertainties.
    Try giving 'em some prayers until they get the accursed thing killed, then you can drag 'em through the coals.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

you cant tell me with in our mllitary some how we cant plug up that oil leak. I just dont understand it DO YOU!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crohrer View Post
    you cant tell me with in our mllitary some how we cant plug up that oil leak. I just dont understand it DO YOU!!!!!!!!
    Crohrer, there is no one in the military who knows enough about what's happening out there to do more good than harm trying to kill it. Also, all the necessary equipment and knowledge of how to use it is in private hands (ie BP, Shell, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, etc). Yes, I understand it - at times it makes me nauseated, and lately dreams about it at night occasionally wake me up, but understand this: BP IS DOING ALL THAT PRESENT TECHNOLOGY PROVIDES to stop the flow.
    Yes, it appears that "present technology" in killing a subsea blowout has not advanced at the same pace as drilling technology has since the Ixtoc incident. Cursing that right now is about like cursing the fox as he leaves the henhouse after eating all your chickens!
    Again!
    Things will assuredly change, more precautions and oversight controls will be established. And I must concur that it's about time.
    But rest assured that as long as deepwater drilling and production continues -and there's a LOT of petroleum out there that American consumers need - it will happen again.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

They will plug the well, sooner or later. Some oil will get on beaches, some will get in marshes. We will have a hurricane. After that, you will not find one drop of oil on the beaches or in the marshes. A year from now, all will be well. The marsh will regrow, just as it did when Katrina burned it with saltwater. The sky is not falling, regardless of what Greenpeace and the media tells you.

Unless Obama does more stupid crap.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Too many experts out there that don't even know what kind of oil is in their car much less how to stop the leak or measure it. It will take time, but it will be stopped and all the name calling and the blame game will do nothing to help. Just remember as I said a long while back, "oil is as natural as water, air, and volcanic ash" and "it will be turned into a political football" if for no other reason than to divert attention. All will be well one day. Say a prayer.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

omg just herd tar balls in florida,maby thay will fix it now.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if Florida and other states with near shore reserves would allow drilling then we wouldn't have to drill in 5000' of water. This same accident in a couple hundred feet of water would have been fixed by now. As they say, you get what you pay for.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast