Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My Spoonbill Snaggin Story

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Spoonbill Snaggin Story

Well, I've heard about it, and I've seen them jump out in the middle of the lake before. But I have never really had the experience to snag one. Today that changed.

I thought that I would go below Grand Lake dam for a change and escape all of the bozo boaters on Grand Lake this weekend. I was on the hunt for some Sandies. I decided to tie on a good ol Rattletrap so I could chunk it out there in the current to get to where the big boys were. The 2nd cast I thought I snagged the bottom, but then my drag was being completely pulled out of my baitcasting reel. I thought this fish was going to completely pull out all of my line. I barely had time to set my drag it was pulling it so hard and fast. I thought I perhaps may had a striper on. The fish got off and I looked over at another fisherman with a stunned look on my face, he told me that it was probably a spoonbill. Sure enough, 2 casts later I snag into another one. This time I know it was a spoonbill because I seen the giant sucker jump up. It got off too. I kept snagging these things almost every other cast. They were so thick in there. I finally snagged one enough that stayed hooked. But as soon as it got pretty close to me it jumped and took off and broke my 17 lb test line. I bet that was 50-60 lbs. It sure was alot of fun but these things were so thick that I had to tie on another lure so I would stop snagging them so much. I did catch a few sandies on a rooster tail but the real memory of the day was my first experience with spoonbill.

So if there are any spoonbill snaggers reading this. Go below Grand Lake dam where the turbines let out!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just informed by one of the guides down there that below the dam is a no snagging zone. So maybe you shouldnt go down there with the intentions of snagging. But no matter what your intentions are, you are likely to snag one no matter what you use.