Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-Orleans-area bankside spots

Post Thanks / Like

Default New-Orleans-area bankside spots

I wonder if anyone here might be able to help me out. A friend of mine who lives in New Orleans (Metairie) is coming to visit me (I live in Canada). I would like him to bring me some freshwater fish. Size and species of fish are not important (crappie would be nice, though).

He doesn't fish, so I think the simplest thing would be for him to go to where people are known to fish from shore and offer to buy one or two of whatever's in the bucket.

Can anyone suggest a good time and place to try, somewhere people are likely to already be fishing?

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Canuck, I think what you're asking is illegal. Game fish cannot be sold. Now if he has a friend that fishes, perhaps he would donate some fillets. Are there no fresh water fish where you live? I thought the north country was full of small mouth bass, trout, salmon, gt grayling and even crappie.
    From the bayous of Louisiana,
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd Sure Like To Have Some Of The Fish You Have Up There. Crappie, Bass, & All The Pike Family Taste The Same No Matter If It's Canada Or Mississippi.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, illegal to buy or sell freshwater game fish in the Southeast, and if your friend doesn't fish... he probably doesn't have a clue on how to clean them even if he could buy them.

Just go buy some of those $6 lobsters y'all have up there to feed your friend when he arrives... I hear they also make great Musky bait for those St. Lawrence river 'skies. Y'all could troll them, instead of trolling here.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

what I was wondering is why someone from LA. would go to the north to eat fish he has to buy,pack,haul,go to all that trouble sumpin ain't right here.

what a first post, welcome to crappie dot com enjoy your stay. and If you ever get to missouri, I will feed you some fresh caught crappie....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post

what a first post, welcome to crappie dot com enjoy your stay. and If you ever get to missouri, I will feed you some fresh caught crappie....
    Beagle

Perhaps you could put some on a dog (greyhound Bus) and send some northeast....:D:D:D:D Since I amhaving a heck of a time catching them right now

Post Thanks / Like

I'll sell ya some !
    Send check, I'll get em right out
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    I'll sell ya some !
    Send check, I'll get em right out
    The check is in the mail, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you, and I promise baby I won't.......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the input. I'm aware that this is illegal. But I'm not after a lot of fish, just a few, and I figure my friend can discretely do this without getting busted. I have done the exact same thing myself a couple times, while travelling. In fact, no one has ever accepted the money I offered (in Mexico and California).

Full disclosure: I study fish parasites, particularly worms that cycle through snails, fish and birds. Perhaps you've seen yellow grub, or black spot... that's what I'm after - for some of us, those worms are more interesting than the fish. Anyway, I'm hoping to get some samples from down there. As a result, any place visited by a lot of fish-eating birds (herons, gulls, egrets, etc) would be great. As you might also imagine, I don't want the fish cleaned...

And yes, in case anyone raises this point, it is a pain to get frozen fish over the border. However, with the right kind of paperwork, it's possible - even legal.

So, I know it's technically not legal, but I feel it's not against the spirit of the law, and Paw paw, or others in the know, if you think I'd be putting my friend at serious risk of arrest (or other legal hassle) by asking this favour, then I'd appreciate knowing. Or, if you know of spots to steer clear of, that too.

Merci mes amis mariganes

Post Thanks / Like

You should drop down to the Louisiana board for answers to your questions.

Louisiana Crappie Fishing - Crappie.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast