Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what other kind of rigs/lures do you long line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what other kind of rigs/lures do you long line?

I pull bandits alot in the summer months in my area, along with twisty tail grubs, tubes, road runners, and some home made spinner rigs w/either some kind of plastic or meat on it. other than the "norm" what kinda things have you all had sucess with long lining? other than bandits what kinda cranks have you had luck with? I bought one crank from the local wal-mart called a cochrans money minnow that I have done well with, along with some of the smaller bomber models, but bandits have been best for us as far as cranks go. just pickin some of your brains for ideas, have a happy memorial day yall, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

All of my long line trolling is done in spring and fall over and around Hydrilla with a 1/32 Oz. Roadrunner or regular hand tied jig. Been doing this since the late 1970's.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    All of my long line trolling is done in spring and fall over and around Hydrilla with a 1/32 Oz. Roadrunner or regular hand tied jig. Been doing this since the late 1970's.

Skip
    Thanks skip, I have never had alot of Luck earlier than june long lining in my area, but honestly I fish alot of jig and cork beore then, so it might be a lack of effort. not by any means doubting you at all, just an observation. wonder if its my area, or just like I said lack of effort cause im always fishing different those time of year?

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pulling a tandem jig rig right now, nothing really out of the norm except from what I understand by talking to some folks here not many people pull more than a double 1/16 oz. rig. I'm pulling a 1/8 in front and a 1/32 or 1/16 in back, this is getting me pretty deep at about 1.0 mph. Most fish bite on the smaller trailer, but I've caught some real nice ones on the 1/8th.

The 1/8-1/32 rig is getting down to about 11 or 12' and the 1/8-1/16 is getting down to about 14 or 15'. If the fish go deeper I may try a double 1/8 rig.

I don't see any reason to pull cranks right now, and I don't feel near as bad losing a $.50 jig as I would a $5 crank.

Post Thanks / Like

GCD,

How do you reach that depth? Do you open the bail or click the reel's thumb bar and count to say 15?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cellis View Post
    GCD,

How do you reach that depth? Do you open the bail or click the reel's thumb bar and count to say 15?
    Nope! Just a long cast behind the boat and 4 or 6# fluorocarbon line, fluoro sinks so it gets your jigs down a little deeper and the lighter # test helps too.

Post Thanks / Like

All right. Thanks, sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cellis View Post
    All right. Thanks, sir.
    You're quite welcome Bubba!