Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm stupid.

I did something unbelievable today. I have a friend over for a few days that needed a fishing break from his business. We got up at 5 this morning and hit the water till about 3. I only got about 3.5 hrs of sleep last night and 5 for less for the 2 previous nights, so I was pretty wiped out by 3 and wasn't thinking straight. The last lake we were at we ran into a nice lady we were talking to as we were leaving and being tired, sunburned, and distracted, somehow I climbed into my friends truck and left my tackle backpack back where I was fishing and went home for a couple hour nap before evening fishing. After dinner we went back to the truck and Jerry said "Dave where is your backpack?" I looked and realized I left it at the lake.

We ran back and it was gone. Someone took it. It had nearly all my tackle in it besides my rods. I had it jammed with everything i could get in it that I normally keep in the back of my car since we were using his truck. My digital camera, all my tackle accessories, scale, pliers, and load of expensive cranks, stickbaits, swimbaits, spinners, trout and salmon spoons, tied jigs, tools, knives, tons of plastics including everything I have ever gotten from anyone here at CC including the 500 jigs I just won from crappieday and all my thumpit jigs. I've had that backpack for 25yrs and some of the lures in there I have caught thousands of fish on and never lost. It was basically the motherload of my day to day tackle that I kind of treasure. A lot of that stuff is not replaceable and I have had for years. I estimate the value of all that stuff was around a grand.

I have never done anything like this in all the years of fishing and I feel kind of sick tonight even though I am trying to look at this philosophically and say look it's not the end of the world, but I'm a tackle guy and I really valued that stuff. I racked my brain trying to think how I could have done that. I still can't quite believe I just left it there.

I'm an idiot! Arg!
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 05-28-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz sorry to hear about your loss but you never know there are alot of nice people still and you might get it all back. I would post some signs or flyers to what happened what your missing and maybe offer a reward for the return. Best of luck for you hope someone does the right thing and steps up and gives your stuff back
    love to fish and make soft plastics

Post Thanks / Like

Sure hope there can be a happy ending to your story. I feel bad for you. Do you think there is anyway you can post a sign where you left it offering a reward. Maybe somebody honest picked it up and will return it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good suggestion except the lake is on the Seneca Indian reservation about 4 miles from the nearest town that has 7 houses in it. I'll talk to the Indian that owns the lake. You never know, he may let me post a sign.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Man I hate to hear about you gear. Hope someone does come forward and returns your tackle. The signs would help if they let you use some. Good luck Grizz
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz, hate to hear about you losing all your stuff. Man what a drag.

I think most of us have done stupid stuff that costs us!

I think Dave Ramsey calls it "Stupid Tax". I know I've paid my fair share over the years!

Post Thanks / Like

What a lucky break! Now you get to shop for fishing tackle. Buying new tackle is fun but after a time you have so much there is nothing to buy. Now you get to start over, you know exactly what you need and don't have to buy all that extra, and in most cases useless, junk. Now you can fish lean and mean.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post

What a lucky break! Now you get to shop for fishing tackle. Buying new tackle is fun but after a time you have so much there is nothing to buy. Now you get to start over, you know exactly what you need and don't have to buy all that extra, and in most cases useless, junk. Now you can fish lean and mean.
    The glass can always be half full.....It's in how one looks at the situation..
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

The same thing crossed my mind. That is something to look forward to I guess. I do have one avenue to persue. There was someone at the lake that day that I may be able to track down. She may have picked it up thinking that with the limited knowledge I have of her I may look for her. I'll find out Tuesday. In the mean time I'm still kicking myself. I feel like I wrecked a car and have to go buy a new one. It's fun to buy a car, but then again you have to go buy a car. you know?

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad deal Grizz. Good luck in getting it back. My brothers house completely burned a few fathers days back.Over 50 yrs of stuff, some from my Dad who's gone several years. I know your pain.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast