Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth finder ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth finder ?

Has anyone ever tried using rain-X on a depth finder screen. I would like to try this as the screen is hard to see in the rain. It works very well on windshields. What do you all think ? Sure is a pain to keep wiping screen with a rag. I would also like to thank Ed for a wonderful forum as I enjoy this site everyday.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwightparks
    Has anyone ever tried using rain-X on a depth finder screen. I would like to try this as the screen is hard to see in the rain. It works very well on windshields. What do you all think ? Sure is a pain to keep wiping screen with a rag. I would also like to thank Ed for a wonderful forum as I enjoy this site everyday.
    That sounds like it might be a good idea.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I would be afraid Rain-X would damage the Lexan or Plexiglass over the screen. Read the bottle and see if it says it is safe for such use. I made the mistake of using Simple Green on my graph and windshield and it crazed the plastic on both.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dwight---DON'T -- I did just that and it was just like Jerry stated. It made the screen milky. I polished it out the best I could using toothpaste and got most of it cleared off but you can still see it. I just had to put it on my Lowrance Global Map! I also put it on my windshield of my Ranger boat. Not good! Wish I would have asked first!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys as I was leaning towards tryint this stunt.

T KEN Guest

Harley-Davidson sells a product that is good to use on lexan or plexi-glass. Comes in a nice small container with sheets.

Post Thanks / Like

Default clean graph screen

I used dishwashing soap mixed with baking soda into a runny paste and it cleaned my graph screens great. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion for repairing a screen that is milky or damaged in any way is to use polishing cloth. Basically, it is nothing more than sandpaper in very high grades. My Eagle graph is over 20 years old, it had some spots that were scratched, milky, just terrible to try to see. Now, it is a stair step method. You start with a low grit of paper, say around 4,500, then work up to around a 15,000 grit. Your screen will look brand new. Use a circular pattern when doing so. I used to be into building jets and maintenace and repair on Aircraft. The lenses over the "headlights" are nothing more than plexiglass. They are always being sent in for repair, (taking out the scratches). You might have to shop around some plastic shops in your area to locate some, but, they will have it. They have to be able to remove the booboo's their employees create. This method of reworking the surface of your graph is gauranteed to make your screen just like new, clean, clear, and perfect!

Mind you that this application ONLY applies to screens that have some sort of distress in them. If there are so scratches or blemishes, then try some of the above. Alcohol is BAD on clear plastic, never use it or any glass cleaner with alcohol in it.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder about using dryer sheets? I know they work great as a bug remover for your car. Has anyone used them on plastic?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Honda makes a great cleaner/polish for motorcycles. It is safe for metal/plastic/rubber. Used it many times detailing my bikes especially the windshields. Rain just beads and runs off after a good polish job.