Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tail style

Post Thanks / Like

Default tail style

Whats your guys opinion on this style of tail? I think it would give more of a natural side to side action compared to the round style paddle tail. It should also be easier to machine in a mold. Give me your thoughts good or bad. Modifications are unlimited!

Name:  tail.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  16.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would work about the same. Then again though if it is getting the same pressure straight from the front, just a steady retrieve I would think would put the same pressure on both sides and it would not have much action at all. I have no clue lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I think it would work about the same. Then again though if it is getting the same pressure straight from the front, just a steady retrieve I would think would put the same pressure on both sides and it would not have much action at all. I have no clue lol
    Yep, I think there is a high potential that there will be no action since the pressures would be the same on each side. If the squared tail was offset to one side of the section coming from the main body there should be more action. Should be as easy to build mold, I think.

What software are you using to do the 3D model?
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

callshy, we could both be wrong but logically we were thinking the same. Offsetting it would halp too I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking an offset front to back or even maybe top to bottom. This is not the best cut and paste but it gives an idea. Even this way may be the same thing as the original with straight force, but maybe with one before the other it might create a small wobble.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

or take some scissors and clip on it till you get the desired action you want...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback. I was originally thinking the same thing as everyone else. (equal pull on both side) but if you look at ANY plastic swim bait or paddle tail they are symmetrical about the vertical centerline of the "spine". Same thing with a crankbait including a lipless, the line eyelet is centered on the bill or flat surface. The only difference in swimbaits/paddle tails vs the tail shown above is swimbaits all have extra paddle material below the main body. My objective is to get more side to side tail action at lower retrieve speeds.

Here's a standard swimmbait.
    Name:  s7_123556_renderset_02.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  5.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think the aerodynamics of the swim bait is a little different. The water goes over the top and under the bottom and then the bottom has the paddle where as the top does not, so I think it creates a little different situation. I think your idea might work if the tail section was a little thinner to give it that aerodynamic force to start the action and with the tail being quite a bit smaller it will force the pressure to the thinner tail and therefore maybe create the action you want. just my opinion but I am not an expert by far lol. And like I said, it may work well as you have it. Trial and error is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I know your picture shows a thinner tail but I would think just a little thinner than you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I know your picture shows a thinner tail but I would think just a little thinner than you have.
    You are correct, on the 3D model the tail is 20% thinner than the paddle. I guess I'll have to get out some glue and a exacto knive and see what results I get in the pool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast