Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sangchris Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sangchris Lake

Hi,

Anyone fish Sangchris Lake for crappie?...I am just getting into crappie fishing.......I would appreciate any tips on fishing Sangchris Lake...I am not asking for a secret spot or anything....I am just looking for some productive lakes in my area for crappie...Just want to catch some crappie..

Coffeen Lake, Sangchris Lake, and Otter Lake are not to far of a drive for me...I have heard that those lakes can be good for crappie..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Take Care
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I talked to a Game Warden who works there (and also crappie fishes there) and he said he has seen 17" crappie come out of there.

Post Thanks / Like

Wardy is the resident expert here, but I've put in some time on it. It's tough to fish if you don't know it, there's no visible deep cover like standing timber, big bridges. So look for the deep brushpiles, or fish the shallow pad stems and laydowns. I caught good numbers of quality fish all last winter, the water is so low now most of the good cover is dry.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

hey jcd,when ya get a chance,do some bank fishin at the spillway at sangchris.This time of year usually the bigger crappie come from around the rocks there.I've seen alot of 12's and 13's come outta there with an occasional,and i do mean occasional 15 plus.I caught some nice ones there today.i did fairly well considering it's been slow there for the past couple of weeks.late march thru mid april,you can also walk to some of the coves and hammer the crappie in there as well.
    "It's not the size of the jig,It's how you use it!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Directions

Angler,

Whereabouts is the spillway at Sangchris?

Can you give directions coming from the west on Route 104?

Thanks
    mixham

Ride To Work ... Work To Ride

Wardy Guest

Mixham. Take 104 to the Sangamon/Christian county line. Turn north (left), go to 1800 North., Turn right and follow that. If you go straight at the first turn off.., that is the west boat dock. Stay left about two miles till you get to a yield sign. Turn right (east) to the park office (stop sign) Turn right about 1 mile. Can't miss the spillway/Lake. You can start at either end. Most the crappie will come from the spillway east to the bouys... or from the east end about the first 200 yards. You can..., and I have just walked and casted the entire rocky area. fish can be caught along the entire dam. The water is low but as the shad move in and out along the rocks... so do the fish. You can cast jigs.. slip bobber....minnows. You may get a bonus catfish.., largemouth and occasionally a striper.

Good Luck!!! p.s. If the wind is strong from the south... this area is very tough to fish.,, especially with a bobber.

wardy

Post Thanks / Like

Wardy,

Thanks for the directions and info. I live pretty close to Sangchris but have never fished it (50 hp motor over the limit and been trying to learn Shelbyville).

I'll definitely give Sangchris a try soon (given a decent day).

Your tips are greatly appreciated!
    mixham

Ride To Work ... Work To Ride

Post Thanks / Like

Hard lake to fish water temp is the key. Power plant is on and off so much.
    Need to fish three or four times a week. Try cork and jig right now,eighteen inches apart. Get in the pads. Stay back and cast move cork a six inches to a foot in a slow jerking motion till get past pads. Then try again. Had many a limit this way. Watch out for Game Warden He is a Jerk gives tickets for any thing. The limit is ten ten dont try to sneak a short fish home. Have every thing in the boat that is required by law This Jerk will Right his own mother a ticket.

Keep a line wet

Post Thanks / Like

I've talked to the warden a few times and have met him a couple times.I like the fact that a warden is on everyones behind.It helps to keep those jokers from dumping brush piles in and taking illegal sized fish out.I wish every lake had a hardcore,but fair conservation officer,then alot of the illegal dumping and keeping of illegal fish would come to a halt.If everyone would obey the law and do what's right,there wouldn't hardly ever be any worries about tickets and such.I'm not insinuating anything about anyone on the board,that's just my beliefs in general.In all actuallity,if i see something illegal going on,i'll report it in a flash,i pay for my license as does everyone else,and if i see a violation i'm on it.It's so easy to just go by the regulations and obey the laws and there would be no trouble at all,but there will always be those that keep the conservation officers employed
    "It's not the size of the jig,It's how you use it!!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have talked to the wardon 3,4 times and he is a Supper nice Crappie Fishing Guy.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast