Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Fishermen in Kentucky

ky_crappie Guest

Default Crappie Fishermen in Kentucky

does anyone ever fish on any of the lakes or rivers in central kentucky? If so, where, & what u are having luck using. thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep, sure do/did ...

I fish Taylorsville mostly, nowadays. But, I have fished Green River Lake, Cave Run Lake, Herrington Lake, and Cumberland Lake in years gone by. Still waiting on Cedar Creek Lake Crappie to reach legal size in numbers. I've also fished KY/Barkley Lake. Throw in Watts Bar Lake (TN) & Weiss Lake (ALA) and you have the majority of the lakes that I've fished, to any degree. And, yes I've even fished & caught Crappie from the KY River.
    Check out the KY discussion board for any recent news on what the other KY anglers/members are up to.
    Baits ?? .... mostly jigs & Roadrunners - but, ain't opposed to putting a minnow on when conditions dictate. .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run is sort of Central KY so I'll join in. I fish the Cave 20-25 times a year and primarily use minnows dead lined with only a split shot and no float. Over the years I sort of perfected this and do very well most of the time. When I fish jigs pink and chartruese with silver flakes seem to work the best. Cave Run is becooming a very good crappie lake. Once you learn the lake and especially the river and Beaver Creek sections you can do OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rough River

Fished Rough River Lake back in the middle two weeks of November and had really good success using red/char tubes under a float jigging the trees. First time I had fished for crappie this late in the year but have found the fishing to be better than the spring fishing. We waited until the lake level was 10 ft over winter pool and this got us into the creeks where the sticks ups were easier to find. We used 12 ft jig poles and kept moving up one side of the creek and down the other putting the jig right up beside the trees. We caught 29, 55 and 60 on the three days we fished. Had a lot of 12-14 inch fish every day but the majority were 10-11 inchers. Seemed as if the crappie hit harder as most of the time the float would disappear as soon as the jig settled in the water. Will be trying the same area again this spring when the water level rises back up to the 10 ft level over winter pool.

ky_crappie Guest

That's what i have used the majority of the time while fishing on rough. I've been hearing around that blue & white tubes have been working but that doesn't seem right for Rough. I'm gonan check it out anyway. Where did you'll let your boat in at? I would like to find the area where u was catching some that size. I wouldn't mind on catching some of those. I went this morning & was castign around some stumps, but didn't have any luck. It looked as if they water was a little 2 muddy. & the water was also moving pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rough River

We put in at Laurel Branch and went way down the lake to Cliffty Creek. But you can't get to it now, not enough water for a boat. I've been told they are still catching them in North Fork up towards Callaway Bridge, but can't confirm that. Report was they were fishing along the rocks with jigs and floats and any cover they could find still in the water. If you know of any stick-ups still in the water, I'd give them a try..We probably won't go back until the water's at 10 ft over winter pool.

ky_crappie Guest

I went today. Wasn't good at all. No one was having luck. The wind was really bad, u couldn't stay in one spot at a time & the water was a little to murky in my opinion. But it was a day out on the water so i'm satified. We let in at Laurel Branch but we went up to Walter's Creek, i had talked to several people saying they came out of there with 40-45. The water was really shallow. It even got to 2 ft. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walter's Creek

That's about right on the depth. We had the boat sitting in 5 ft and jigging the trees about 12 inches deep in 2-3 ft of water. With all the rain we've got coming in tonight and tomorrow (2 inches) that will really mess up any fishing for awhile. Good luck to you..