Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I'm still in amazement...........

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm still in amazement...........

hours later, and I still can't get over how "inexpensive" the minnows are in western Pa. While the wheels were turning upstairs, another thought has come to mind: What would an average stringer of 10, 10" crappie weigh over there? I'm thinking an average weight on the east side would be about 5lbs. (figuring 8 oz. per fish) Trying to keep it simple by not figuring in different size fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Zig,
    I'd have to say they'd be bigger over this way. Especially when you specify 10" minimum. Our weight at the tournament we fished in the spring was 8.49 lbs, that's 10 fish and some were under 10". But I defer to Bob since he is the crappie master of the western part of the state.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig, Sorry I didn't get to see you on Sunday, My grandson got baptised yesterday, family comes first. Now back to your question on the weight a 11" crappie will weigh in at 1 pound (Black Crappie) so your stringer of 10" should be 12 oz. When you fish with us Pro's over here on the west side you better have a couple of kicker fish to win! Or bring some jig lead to feed them! Just funning!~ Keep Fishing, Zimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy
    Big Zig, Sorry I didn't get to see you on Sunday, My grandson got baptised yesterday, family comes first. Now back to your question on the weight a 11" crappie will weigh in at 1 pound (Black Crappie) so your stringer of 10" should be 12 oz. When you fish with us Pro's over here on the west side you better have a couple of kicker fish to win! Or bring some jig lead to feed them! Just funning!~ Keep Fishing, Zimmy
    We'll have other opportunities to meet up, I agree with your priorities 100%.
    You bring up a good point too, that weight is for white crappie, wonder if that makes a difference? I started keeping a personnal track of crappie size vs. weight this past summer, and the 8" crappies (white) weigh an average of 6 ozs., the 10" whites go 8 ozs. - this is by memory, may have to check my notes to be sure.
    As far as meeting, you'll see me at the awards table taking your money home............. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlabHunter
    Zig,
    I'd have to say they'd be bigger over this way. Especially when you specify 10" minimum. Our weight at the tournament we fished in the spring was 8.49 lbs, that's 10 fish and some were under 10". But I defer to Bob since he is the crappie master of the western part of the state.
    Mike
    Hope you and the family kick that cold/flu bug soon. Glad to see there though............
    Bob - crappie master? That's a pretty strong title to carry - also a good name for a moving trophy! I think his boy will have that title in a few more years, he's got the same drive to fish I remember having. I can only hope my boys will be pushing me to take them fishing as hard as he did.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Master? Not yet, but soon. lol

Mike, I thought we threw all the small ones back? I believe the average length in our winning weight was 11" The fish we weighed the year before were 9's and 10's with one fish at 12" and our weight was 5.4 lbs. I think Zimmies weights are close for the blacks, the whites will weigh slightly less at the 10" mark.
    Zig, as far as the boy, he is the one that actually won the tournament for us. He chose the right color the day before and it held up for the tournament. I agree in a couple of years he will be fishing circles around most of us.(that is of course if I let him drive the boat.lol)
    Also, in regards to the minnows I have had days were we used a half a pound of minnows in just a few hours. Those are some incredible fishing days. Unfortunatly or fortunatly depending on whose view (the fish or fishermans) you take. They don't happen all that often but, when they do it is a great day.
    Zig, don't count your winnings too soon!!!!lol
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G
    Zig, don't count your winnings too soon!!!!lol
    :D I have no idea how your livewell door got opened...........or what happen to your biggest fish..... :D