Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: using fish for fertilizer

Post Thanks / Like

Default using fish for fertilizer

Coyote - That sure is a mess of crappie carcasses. It sure would catch a bunch a blues on those cut up carcasses.:p

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote, them there carcasses are the best fertilizer you can get for your garden! I always put a mess under my Maters.

I'll have to stop in Krebs one of these days and try RoseAnn's. Always like finding new places to eat!

Post Thanks / Like

10-4 on the fertilizer under the maters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDon View Post
    Coyote, them there carcasses are the best fertilizer you can get for your garden! I always put a mess under my Maters.

I'll have to stop in Krebs one of these days and try RoseAnn's. Always like finding new places to eat!
    How do you keep the local animals from digging them up?
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I buried a bunch of carcasses around my tomatoes one year and a few days later, my tomato plants were covered with flies. It was like the fish juice worked up through the tomatoes in a matter of days. Also, The ground was moving because of the maggots that were eating away at the carcasses, I obviously didnt bury them deep enough. And it may have been psychological but I swear my tomatoes tasted fishy.

Be sure to bury them deep enough, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    Coyote - That sure is a mess of crappie carcasses. It sure would catch a bunch a blues on those cut up carcasses.:p
    We caught 3 blues on our jigs while trolling for crappie that evening, letem go. Those things can sure slime up a livewell. In the winter we fish for blues and they go straight into an icechest. When it is cold enough, no ice needed.

OkieDon,
    Some people don't believe this but I don't eat maters! Now if you have some good salsa, that's a different story.
    Hey, tell me a story!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyOkie View Post
    How do you keep the local animals from digging them up?
    For one, I usually bury the carcasses at least 10 inches to a foot deep. Then, since it's usually early spring anyway, I'll add a bag or two of compost and manure on top and work it into the top soil.

Have only had one small area dug this year and I'm not so sure it wasn't a squirrel burying a left over black walnut...since I found one buried there when I planted my tomato plant.

I have had friends who sprinkled cayenne pepper powder and/or black pepper over the top, but I've never had to use that method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    We caught 3 blues on our jigs while trolling for crappie that evening, letem go. Those things can sure slime up a livewell. In the winter we fish for blues and they go straight into an icechest. When it is cold enough, no ice needed.
    If you want to add some Catfish fillets to your Crappie fillets, then use some Yum Shad attractant to your jigs. I bought a bottle that was on sale at a Wal-Mart earlier this year and nearly every time I've used it, I've caught either Blue or Channel cats. Can't say the stuff works for Crappie, but the Cats really like it!!

OkieDon,
    Some people don't believe this but I don't eat maters!
    Now that's just plain wrong! But to be honest, my daughter is the same way. Won't touch a tomato, but loves salsa...go figure...lol