Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a hole in the side of my new cranking battery and

Iuka-Pickwick Lake-Tishomingo County Mississippi
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Got a hole in the side of my new cranking battery and

need some help on what to do to stop the hole up. I have put some silicone on it for the time being but not sure that it will hold up, thought maybe someone might have some experience with this. the battery is just 2 months old

thanks

maachuu

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, how did you get a hole in your battery?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Just curious, how did you get a hole in your battery?
    while sitting in the storage it was touching some bolts that I didnt know about and the movement of the boat has rubbed a hole in it, yep I know I should have checked and as they say hind sight is 20/20

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Pull it and replace it. NOW! The acid will leach into your bilge and no telling what damage it might/could/can do to your pumps, hoses and THROUGH HULL fittings. Get you about 2 pounds of baking soda and flush the snot out of the bottom of that boat.

Hurry up.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think you will have to suck this one up as a loss, I don't think theres much you can do if its leaking, I would think the heat from charging it would cause some problems.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

OH, just saw it was out of the boat when the hole was created. OK, skip the baking soda, but ain't no way that battery would be allowed in my boat.

Had one 'espload in my boat once due to a shorted out plate. What a mess.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used aluminum boat from a guy about 14 years ago that I think had battery acid leak out of the battery. The boat needed a new wooden floor and when I took out the old floor to replace it the urethane flotation foam was almost completely saturated with water. Took it all out, noticed severe pitting all over the aluminum hull, but mostly concentrated near the battery storage. Put the boat in the water to find the leak and had two spouts springing up. Wound up drilling about 50 holes and installing rivets in the holes. Still have a small leak somewhere, but haven't took it apart again to find it. Do like Wannabe suggests and clean it out fast.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    OH, just saw it was out of the boat when the hole was created. OK, skip the baking soda, but ain't no way that battery would be allowed in my boat.

Had one 'espload in my boat once due to a shorted out plate. What a mess.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe, the battery is in the boat, it was inside storage box I have in the boat, I will get me some baking soda and a new battery , but first I will fix those bolts for sure !!!

thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I bought a used aluminum boat from a guy about 14 years ago that I think had battery acid leak out of the battery. The boat needed a new wooden floor and when I took out the old floor to replace it the urethane flotation foam was almost completely saturated with water. Took it all out, noticed severe pitting all over the aluminum hull, but mostly concentrated near the battery storage. Put the boat in the water to find the leak and had two spouts springing up. Wound up drilling about 50 holes and installing rivets in the holes. Still have a small leak somewhere, but haven't took it apart again to find it. Do like Wannabe suggests and clean it out fast.
    Thanks for the info, looks like just gotta suck it up and get a new battery or I guess since I am in the deep south I should say "batree"

:D

Post Thanks / Like

pc marine epoxy
    SHUTUPANDFISH!!! SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION, MUST HAVE BEEN A GATOR OR LONGHORN FAN. ROLL AGAIN TIDE. HOOAH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast