Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depthfinder question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depthfinder question

Hi All
    I've been reading here for a while and have learned alot from you guys. I do have one question though that I can't find an answer to. I have an Eagle Strata 128 D.F and I would like to know the area of coverage in 20' to 25' of water? I know it has something to do with the cone angle but I can't find that info. in the manual. I can't believe they don't give this info. but it's not there. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Mark ...

generally speaking - your transducer probably has a 20deg cone angle. That's the standard setup.
    A 20deg cone angle will show a circle of approx 7ft in diameter, in 21ft of water. It's generally accepted that a 20deg cone angle will show a circle with a diameter (width) of 1/3 of the depth of the water you're in ... so in your case -- 20-25' of water -- you're looking at a 7-8ft wide circle of bottom being picked up and interpreted on your screen. .. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default new member in alabama

hey every body just found this site afew weeks ago . it took me this long to get logged in but have enjoyed reading your post live and fish central alabama on michell lake any body else fish here

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember that with a 20 deg cone with 30 ft of water, you are seeing about a 10 ft diameter circle on the bottom. If the fish are 15 ft down you only are seeing about a 5-6 ft diam circle.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Just what I wanted to know.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use Bottomline Sidefinder transducer fish finders or other companies copies here for crappies. My impressions are that they work well in open water but not well in shallows.
    Good things come to those who bait.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I,ve Got A Matrix 37 ---did,nt Like Its Operation In Shallow Water So Its In A Box In Garage
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Humminbird 987cSI. It is the absolute pill as far as finders go.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that humminbird a 2 grand fishfinder?

Frank, I'm going to be spending this summer teaching kids to fish at a summer camp in TN. The camp is going to need some stuff they don't currently have for the program. One of the things is a couple fishfinders. Are you willing to donate that finder to a good cause or sell it?

Speaking of that subject. One of the tasks I'd like to take on for the camp is to see if I can get donations of tackle for the kids to use. I understand the gear they have now has seen better days. If anyone here has contacts with companies or individuals that might be interested in making tackle donations, I believe they can write off anything they donate. What they need are rods and reels that kids can handle(like zebco 303's), plastics, line, terminal tackle, nets, bass boats(haha just kidding),material for fish attractors like pvc, 5 gal buckets and concrete.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-17-2006 at 12:33 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast