Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so mad at (JUNK) Minn Kota...I guess the MINN means they work for a MINUTE...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm so mad at (JUNK) Minn Kota...I guess the MINN means they work for a MINUTE...

DO NOT EVER BUY ANYHTING OVER $2 at WAL MART. I knew everything they were selling was getttin junkier and junkier BUT I bought a Trolling Motor there last MARCH and mounted it on the bow of my boat. I paid $300 plus tax. It is only a 12V model, with 5 speed slection "dial". WELL, the selection dial is only working on 1,2 and 5. No 3 and 4 which you sometimes need. OF COURSE after like 15 minutes of purchase WWALMART says it's a MANUF issue. So WALMART expects me to send it back to Knuckhead, AR or someother palce and "have them fix it". I don't want to NOR should have have to unhook it, remove my transducer, NOT BE ABLE to fish, just so I can send it to MINN KOTA so they can JUST then tell me "this isn't a Manufacturing issue". I really wouldn't mind sending to them BUT then I can't fish.

ANyone have any similar issues with the speed selection dial? Also, once 5 (or high speed goes) this motor won't be worth 2 cents. WHAT WILL BE THE BEST ALTERNATIVE TO REPLACE IT WITH? ANd I won't even consider anothe Minn Junka. My needs are a variable speed 12 Volt bow mounted. I don't need the built in sonor or the auto pilor, etc. I just want one that will run when I want it too.

Thinking about sending a letter to MK. Anyone have a contact at the Warranty division from maybe having some issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn-Kota

Like I said Sac, the only time Minn-kota has worked for me was as a boat anchor Mine was a foot control and it seemed like every time I was on fish big time a cable, or a switch would break on me. Finally bought a 71 pound thrust motor guide two years and I could not be happier. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea, this one is a foot control model. I WILL ONLY USE A FOOT CONTROL MODEL at this time in my life, When I'm older and I sit to fish I will use one with a handle.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you keep the instructions that came with the motor? There are 5 authorized repair centers in MS. Brown's in Pearl 601-932-2793, Caruther's in Vicksburg 601-6384156, J&J MArine in Starkville 601-320-2219, Miller's Marine in Columbus 662-328-4751, Propellor Services in Ridgeland 601-856-3191. If you bought it in March of last year it's still under warranty, that is if you kept your receipt.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not what you want to hear right now - but anything made by the
    hand of man can and will screw up, sooner or later.
    I've got a MotorGuide I gave better than 6 bills for leaning up in the corner
    of my shed, gathering dust, biggest pos I ever bought. It came from Bass
    Pro Shops, but not their fault. Long story there... but I called MG about
    a problem I had with it when it was new, and I was so mad at the jerk that
    took my call, I was ready to drive up there and stick the tm up his ___
    Only dealings I've ever had with MK tech line, bought a used boat with a deckhand anchor on it, and forgot to latch the anchor into the housing running in some big waves, broke a nylon gear. Lady who answered the phone, knew exactly what I needed, and sent it ups pronto. My next one - MK
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback. You know, the KEY is the LAST 7 words of your post. I have searched my house HIGH AND LOW...and HAVEN'T found the receipt yet (even though it shouldn't matter). I know it was in MARCH cause that's when I bought the boat so I KNOW it was MARCH. Maybe from the model number MK can verify if it's in the 2 year Warranty period (no warranty needed then I would think). I called both of those local numbers and will retract this post if I can have it fixed without having to send it off.

EIther way I EXPECT for $300, a trolling motor used to chase CRAPPIE in mostly open water should work for YEARS!!!

Hey J. White...It's a trolling motor, NOT a ROCKET!!! They build these things everyday ALL day.

Oh yea, and another lesson learned from this...well it was something else I can't remember... but I NOW have a file I put all my receipts for everything I put into/on my boat except for stuff that's somewhat perishable.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 01-14-2006 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sac, Like J. White above, I've always have good friendly service from MinnKota. Maybe give them a call 1-800-227-6433 or 1-507-345-4623, if like you said, it was made or distributed within the warranty period they'll probably be able to give the repair center near you the authorization to fix it under warranty. Just remember to sweet talk them, rather than come on telling what a piece of crap they made. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh If I get them on the phone at one of those numbers I will talk to them like we are in church if they will get it fixed where I don't have to send it off.

Thanks for the advice and tele. numbers...

Post Thanks / Like

No way am I taking up for Wal-Mart, but it says Minn-Kota on the box not Wal-Mart. Very few places will take care of warranty's anymore. As far as having a receipt, if you mailed in the warranty card when you purchased the TM you should'nt need it. Give Minn-Kota a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, the warranty card is a scam. I shouldn't have to mail that in. If I did that for everything I bought I would spend day after day mailing in MARKETING info for company after company. It's pretty simple...THEY SHOULD MAKE A PRODUCT THAT WILL LAST FOR AT LEAST A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME. To me it's a catch 22.

Either way, WAL-MART isn't my forst choice for anything. Should of stuck with that policy when I bought this but now that BPS just opened I have an alternative!!!

Oh and I think some companys make certain products JUST FOR WALMART that are inferior to some of their other products they distribute in other stores. If you're a supplier, what WALMART says...GOES. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 01-14-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast