Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My "How to filet" video

Post Thanks / Like

Default My "How to filet" video

This just a basic How To video I put together last, with a few at the end done at my regular pace. I have seen a lot of different techniques so I just thought I would share mine. Hope you all enjoy and maybe some will find it useful.
    YouTube - How to filet panfish..wmv
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

nice video and very thorough.looks like you have done it thousands of times!!!!!!! have you ever tried and electric knife? i see alot of people still use old school knives and i wonder why people havent made the transition over to electric. i cleaned fish for 20 yrs with a filet knife and got an electric about 6-7 yrs ago and have never picked up a filet knife again.

definitely not knocking and old school knife just wonder what peoples advantage with the filet knife is?

Post Thanks / Like

Man nice video and technique you have there, but I use an electric knife and have been since the 1970's. I use to use a regular knife like you do, but it's just faster with Electric especially when doing fish that are not pan fish.
    One other thing I noticed is I cut mine to the tail and stop too, but just whack through the ribs too and then take off the skin and had fillet to wife and she cuts out the rib making sure to keep the meet just below the ribs that you lose in your way. Then rinse and take to the house for cooking and or freezing. I know it's not a lot of meet, but I still want that piece that runes from the end of the ribs back toward the head, but under or at the bottom of my fillet. So my fillet has a shape where the ribs are cut out that looks kind of like a U or V.

When doing larger fish, Bass or Red fish you just whack through the ribs and can be kind of big so the electric knife is best for my way.

Still nice way you have and looks like your use to it fro sure.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the way I filet them. I still use the old school way, my filet knives are 30 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Default waste

You seem to have perfected the method you use. I see a lot of meat waste though. You must be in an area where there is an unlimited supply.
    Just my opinion though of course.
    You done an exelent job of producing the video. I'd like to do one like that one day. Illinoisgiller

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=skiptomylu;1163602]Man nice video and technique you have there, but I use an electric knife and have been since the 1970's. I use to use a regular knife like you do, but it's just faster with Electric especially when doing fish that are not pan fish.
    One other thing I noticed is I cut mine to the tail and stop too, but just whack through the ribs too and then take off the skin and had fillet to wife and she cuts out the rib making sure to keep the meet just below the ribs that you lose in your way. Then rinse and take to the house for cooking and or freezing. I know it's not a lot of meet, but I still want that piece that runes from the end of the ribs back toward the head, but under or at the bottom of my fillet. So my fillet has a shape where the ribs are cut out that looks kind of like a U or V.

I fillet the same way as you do Skip.

Good video you put together and it will help a lot of fishermen learn how to fillet a fish. Good job
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller View Post
    You seem to have perfected the method you use. I see a lot of meat waste though. You must be in an area where there is an unlimited supply.
    Just my opinion though of course.
    You done an exelent job of producing the video. I'd like to do one like that one day. Illinoisgiller
    There is actually very little waste. If you to see the carcas up close when I am finished there is probably not more than a fork full of meat left on the entire thing. I am definitely not into wasting and there is not an endless supply, just my way of doing. Have done it that way for almost 40 years. Thanks for all the comments everyone.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

nice video very professionally done

Post Thanks / Like

nice video i like it....make it easy for a beginner to pick it up for sure

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed that video! Thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast