Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pike fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default pike fishing

does anybody here catch pike accidentally while crappie fishing? i was fishing a little chartreuse roadrunner in shallow water and two pike chased it all the way to shore and gave me some bites. didn't manage to hook either though =(. anyways, just wondering if anyone had this happen also and if you have some advice for catching pike at the same time. looked like a fun fish to catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Where were you fishing that has pike?

Post Thanks / Like

Default maybe confused

so i have never encountered a pike before, i've only read about them and i thought i had read about them in the oklahoma fishing guide booklet. now that i've been surfing the web and trying to read up on it, i think they may have been chain pickerel?

that being said, i was in oklahoma city in the pond across the highway from lake hefner to the east. pretty sure its called kid's lake or wilshire pond or something like that. it was in the really shallow southwest area. you could see their vague outline spread out randomly throughout the shallows. i got a really good look at two of them when they came in after my roadrunner and bit at it. really really wish i had hooked one so i could post a picture and ask what you guys thought.

the two i saw up close were probably between 15"-20" long. big fish by my newbie fisherman standards =)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting that it was chain pickerel or bass...if not Gar

Next time, you can try either stopping the RR and letting it fall or speed it up a little and make it look like it's trying to escape. The fish will either grab it on the fall or just as you speed it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I am betting gar, but it would be interesting to see just the same.

Post Thanks / Like

well i'm definitely going back there every day until i hook one and get a picture to post. its really exciting to try catching a fish i've never even seen before. i've only started to fish in the last 2 months and i'm insanely addicted. glad i found this forum with so many helpful contributors.

i'll keep you posted on that picture to come!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about pike. I know there is Walleye in Oologah, but have never caught one. Walleye is a big prize in the Wichita area and I got into catching some of them while living up that way. We used to troll for them and had a blast. I've trolled the same baits on Oologah trying to catch Crappie and have had limited success, but still never caught a walleye.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

so i've been fishing relentlessly to catch one of those fish and put a picture on here but they don't get hooked. they bite my jigs pretty hard. they run with it. but i can't ever get the hook set. annoying! catching some bass though..

that being said, i got some real up close looks at them swimming by. to be honest though, i still can't determine if its gar or chain pickerel. google images isn't helping out all that much either.

does anybody know how to distinguish the two without catching one and examining really closely?

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm betting it's a Gar.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

take a piece of braided, white nylon rope, unbraid it and tie it to your line. Their teeth will become entangled and you can land it.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast