Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Howdy Ya'll (got any patterns you want to share?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howdy Ya'll (got any patterns you want to share?)

First post woot.

Any ways I live up in North Idaho, and I think I am the ONLY person here who fly fishes for pan fish. Of the 15 years that I've been pan fishing ( four or so of those fly fishing for em ) I have never seen any body out on the lakes fly fishing.

So here is what I am looking for: If there is any body who fly fishes in the same latitude as I do, what patterns are you using for Crappie?

That is if you want to share.

Best Regard,
    Fly_caster.

Post Script.

I am at 47.54 (give a few degrees) north. 2,600 Feet in elevation.
    Last edited by Fly_caster; 05-23-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: additional information

Post Thanks / Like

Try a size 4 Clouser Minnow about two inches long in either olive over white or chartreuse over white.
    They'll also strike "tube-jig" flies in the same sizes and colors along with blue and white. And a size 8 yellow Marabou Muddler is a good choice at times, especially when the fish are shallow and you want your fly to sink a little slower.
    Bon chance.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, sorry 'bout that. I live just above sea level a bit further south than you do! :D
    Still, those Clouser Minnows should work just fine for you! Slow-strip 'em.
    Pete again.

Post Thanks / Like

You will not do badly at all using the patterns used for Trout in your area.
    I know cause when I started flyfishing for panfish in the late 70's panfish flies were unheard of in Iowa.
    Any black gnats, royal coachman etc. and Wooly Buggers or wooly worms work great. Matching the Hatch works for any fish, so whatever hatches in your area. Poppers are Great Fun too.

Post Thanks / Like

Clouser minnows, size 4-8. Try them in pink over white, olive over white, and chartreuse over white.... If the fish are shallow, bead chain eyes work fantastic.

Leeches also work great! Size 10 and 12 hook, rabbit hair or marabou tail, mohair body, bead head. Slumpbusters have caught me a fair amount of fish this year so far too if they're a little deeper!

Post Thanks / Like

Fly caster

Go over to Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. then on the left hand side of the screen go to Features and then scroll down to Panfish. There you will get aquainted with one Mr. Rick Zieger.

Read his reports and you'll also find alot of flies that he ties just for panfish. He's more than willing to share, and is a wealth of info on fly rod panfishing.

Fatman