Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line counter reels... which one has the least free spool resistance?

Durham County... Falls Lake & Jordan are my home lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line counter reels... which one has the least free spool resistance?

I currently use some Diawa ADP17LC's which are really nice but I have one complaint. I have to assist getting the line out by hand usually or it just sits there. I am wondering if anyone has found a different make and model of line counter reel that has a lower free spool resistance where the line will just feed out by itself without assistance after the release lever is flipped using just the pull of the water on the jig. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated... nccrappiegirl

Post Thanks / Like

I have four Okuma's that free spool easily.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by majflyboy View Post
    I have four Okuma's that free spool easily.
    Which model Okuma's?.. there are several makes... nccrappiegirl

Post Thanks / Like

The Magna pro 15.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the Okuma line counter reels have a spool tension adjustment knob. It is the round silver knob....you can loosen or add tension with it. Your Diawa should have one also. Also be sure that the bait clicker switch is turned off or it will not free spool right. Also...If all you have on is a jig you do not have enough weight. I use a sinker above my jig a couple of ft. What I do is loop the line through a egg sinker three times leaveing out a couple of ft. of line to tie my jig on. I actually use two jigs.....I go above the egg sinker a couple of ft. and Tie a jig on with a loop knot. I spider troll this way and normally use 1 OZ. sinker to keep my lines almost verticle when trolling.
    Last edited by "G"; 05-23-2010 at 02:34 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-3 Fisherman View Post
    All of the Okuma line counter reels have a spool tension adjustment knob. It is the round silver knob....you can loosen or add tension with it. Your Diawa should have one also. Also be sure that the bait clicker switch is turned off or it will not free spool right. Also...If all you have on is a jig you do not have enough weight. I use a sinker above my jig a couple of ft. What I do is loop the line through a egg sinker three times leaveing out a couple of ft. of line to tie my jig on. I actually use two jigs.....I go above the egg sinker a couple of ft. and Tie a jig on with a loop knot. I spider troll this way and normally use 1 OZ. sinker to keep my lines almost verticle when trolling.
    I have the Diawa's adjustment spool tension knob all the way loose... heck I even took the spring out of one of them and they still won't feed out without some help. The clickers are of course turned off also. I know using a sinker weight will help... it just makes break down and set up so much harder and you get more tangles. I know I can always use them as a last resort fix... I was just hoping I could reel them up to the jig while breaking them down. It allows for really easy rod storage with no tangles.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe your problem is in the gears from the spool that activate the line counter function on your reel. Most people that use line counter reels are trolling deep diving crank baits so it doesn't matter to them.

Are you using these reels because you let out an exact number of feet of line? If so, how many feet of line are you letting out?

I long line troll with spinning rods and don't really worry about the amount of line out, just a long cast behind the boat. If the jig is too light for a good enough cast I just strip off more line by waving the rod in an imitation hook set motion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    I believe your problem is in the gears from the spool that activate the line counter function on your reel. Most people that use line counter reels are trolling deep diving crank baits so it doesn't matter to them.

Are you using these reels because you let out an exact number of feet of line? If so, how many feet of line are you letting out?

I long line troll with spinning rods and don't really worry about the amount of line out, just a long cast behind the boat. If the jig is too light for a good enough cast I just strip off more line by waving the rod in an imitation hook set motion.
    I like and need to know the exact length that is let out to achieve a consistent depth with whatever style and weight of rig I am using. I also take out novice fisherman friends from time to time and every single one have commented on how they like the line counter reels better. It allows anyone to let out a consistent amount of line with little to no guesswork instead of them having to estimate which they usally get wrong.

I have tested the reels enough to know that the amount of feet they read is not extremely accurate but you can get consistent readings of line out in comparison to the other poles. I will soon be running 12 poles out the back of my boat and I need exact and consistent line out results... so for me line counter reels are a must. I also will be using them for tight line trolling too from time to time. Since I plan on using as many as 24 poles soon (12 rear.. 12 front) I need as much of the guesswork taken out as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccrappiegirl View Post
    I like and need to know the exact length that is let out to achieve a consistent depth with whatever style and weight of rig I am using. I also take out novice fisherman friends from time to time and every single one have commented on how they like the line counter reels better. It allows anyone to let out a consistent amount of line with little to no guesswork instead of them having to estimate which they usally get wrong.

I have tested the reels enough to know that the amount of feet they read is not extremely accurate but you can get consistent readings of line out in comparison to the other poles. I will soon be running 12 poles out the back of my boat and I need exact and consistent line out results... so for me line counter reels are a must. I also will be using them for tight line trolling too from time to time. Since I plan on using as many as 24 poles soon (12 rear.. 12 front) I need as much of the guesswork taken out as possible.
    I understand completely.

I have a friend that puts bobber stops on his spinning reels at 40' so he knows where his jig is. The problem with this is that it makes casting difficult because the bobber stop hangs up the line on the spool and in the eyes of the rod.

I can also see the pattern of having all the jig out at approximately the same length to mimic a school of bait fish. Try leaving a couple jigs 2 or 3 feet back behind the rest, game fish love to pick off "stragglers" in a school.

You never did say how much line you're letting out.. or is that "classified" information?
    Last edited by GCD; 05-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

12 poles out the rear? 12 more off the front? I would like to see that! I have trouble sometimes fishing 3 out each side pulling cranks. Do you ever turn? I've never pulled jigs, maybe it is easier. With 6 crankbaits behind the boat, I have to make wide sweeping turns......I use the Okuma magda pros as well. They are cheap and suit my purposes well.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast