Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor batteries

What are the best trolling motor batteries? What is the key element in long lasting batteries?
    We have fished 50 times since Oct 1st. New batteries bought at that time. Now they will not last but 1/2 day. Need something better.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sls
    What are the best trolling motor batteries? What is the key element in long lasting batteries?
    We have fished 50 times since Oct 1st. New batteries bought at that time. Now they will not last but 1/2 day. Need something better.
    I recently asked the same question and it seems a lot of people like the Delco Voyager batteries.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the keys to keeping deep cycle batteries in good shape is using a charger that is designed to charge and maintain them. I used to use an automotive type battery charger and my batteries didn't last very long. The acid would boil down and I would have to add water regularly. Since I have been using onboard deep cycle battery chargers I don't have to add water nearly as often and the batteries last a lot longer. I also think it's a good idea to charge your batteries every time you use them and keep them maintained at full charge, which the onboard battery charges do automatically.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerry is 100% right. The 2 most important things to do to prolong battery life is to keep the water level up (using distilled water) and recharge within 24 hours of each time you use them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

been using optima sealed batts for last three yrs with on board charger.. they the best i've ever used..have never run them down and i troll with them a lot...fish 250 days a yr.

Post Thanks / Like

An on board charger is a great investment. I have a three battery system(one cranking, two for trolling and electronics) that has worked well for 3 years now. It is a 12V system, but has extra capacity. After every fishing trip I just plug it up and forget it until time for the next trip. A slow, steady charge is a lot better than a hot fast one that an automotive type charger provides. Plus your batteries are always at full charge when it is time to go.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the 24 volt system, an onboard charger and we charge the batteries after each time out. Our boat shed is less than 2 minutes from the ramp. Fishdoc is that all you look for Optima sealed or is there numbers or any other description? Do you fish all day ?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have had exceptional luck with a pair of Delco batteries in my 24 volt system. 6 years now and still going OK. They run down a little quicker than they used to and will get replaced this spring. Wanna guess what kind I will buy next time?

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents. I like my Optimiu Blue Top. I also got a new charger that has help some too.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast