Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question? Black Crappie & Cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question? Black Crappie & Cranks

do they hit them readily. I have been seeing some post about it being a waste of time to push or pull cranks if your lake has black crappie only. The saying is white crappies love them and black crappies do not. Is this true or a myth? Need input. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrytime View Post
    do they hit them readily. I have been seeing some post about it being a waste of time to push or pull cranks if your lake has black crappie only. The saying is white crappies love them and black crappies do not. Is this true or a myth? Need input. Thanks
    I have been pulling cranks for 3 years now and have caught 2 black crappie on them and a couple thousand whites.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I may not be a lot of hep, as I only use crankbaits from time to time. But from what I have gathered so far, is you DO catch mostly whites, at least where I pull them. I don't see why you couldn't catch blacks, I guess it just depends on the depth of you bait. I usually run baits in the 15' to 20' range and catch whites on main lake ledges. I think I catch mostly whites because the tend to be in deeper water.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

The Kentucky Game & Fish Commission or whatever it's called did a big study on Kentucky Lake which has been reported on this site before. As I recall it showed that black crappie tended to stay shallower than white crappie and that they tended to relate more to cover whereas white crappie tended to suspend in open water during certain times of the year. If this is so I can see why most crappie caught trolling cranks would be whites.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only had minor success on a lake that only has black crappie. When I go to a large reservoir that has both black and white crappie I catch both.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blairarnold View Post
    The Kentucky Game & Fish Commission or whatever it's called did a big study on Kentucky Lake which has been reported on this site before. As I recall it showed that black crappie tended to stay shallower than white crappie and that they tended to relate more to cover whereas white crappie tended to suspend in open water during certain times of the year. If this is so I can see why most crappie caught trolling cranks would be whites.
    yes 2x
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My fish must have not read that study. Caught close to 20 blacks today while trolling (with a hard bait) for walleyes in 19 foot of water. These fish were caught along the drop off that went from 17 feet to 32 feet. All were caught within a foot of the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie51 View Post
    My fish must have not read that study. Caught close to 20 blacks today while trolling (with a hard bait) for walleyes in 19 foot of water. These fish were caught along the drop off that went from 17 feet to 32 feet. All were caught within a foot of the bottom.
    I don't know. I suspect a guy could catch black crappie trolling cranks up in the Canadian Shield lakes where there's a whole lot more grassy cover and rock cover than woody cover like we have here or would be found in Kentucky Lake. If you have time, you might want to look up the study. It is very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty much ALL whites......matter of fact cant remember ever catching a black on a crank....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got a link to that study...I catch mostly Blacks..a lot in deep water.
    Get Some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast