Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wingates Lodge

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wingates Lodge

http://www.wingateslodge.com/

Don't know if any of you have ever fished Lake Seminole in South Georgia and North Florida, but there is a man that lives there that owns a local marina named Jack Wingate. He fished some of the original bass fishing tournaments when BASS first organized, and was very successful and is still a big name with BASS. He is considered still one of the most knowledgable fisherman alive. He has a great marina and shows up every day to "hold court" on the porch in his rocking chair. Here is his website. He has a wonderful sense of Southern humor and writes a column on his website called Seminole Ramlins. Each one he writes is saved so you can go back and read ones form weeks before. Thought some of you guys would enjoy reading.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great place to visit. The restaurant has good food, the staff is A++, and the fishing is what you would expect. I will go back to fish it again. I also like reading his Seminole ramlins
    when I grow up I want to be, one of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to live in bainbridge, which is just above seminole on the flint river. way back then, i was a kid (late 50's-early 60's)and most our fishing was done on the banks of the flint and when we had a chance, wed fish seminole with someone who had a boat. nettin season was a big event. I think they still have a nettin season where you can legaly set gill nets. seminole reminds me a lot of lake marion here in sc with all that wood sticking out the water. Ive fished seminole probably several dozen times since the mid 60's and always enjoyed my time there. Ive never been to wingates but ive heard a lot about the place. My friends i have down there are mostly into brim fishing, catching a ton of brim through the summer when they are bedding. the only night stalk ive done on seminole was 4 years ago and it was a flop, since the skipjacks wouldnt leave us alone long enough to catch a crappie. we resorted to fishing the trees with minnows daylight hours and caught a lot of crappie fishing the stumpfields
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I love listening (or reading) to the old timers talk about huntin and fishin. Gonna be one myself real shortly.hehe Neat site David, thanks....izzy

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, I learned to bass fish on lake seminole while I was going to college. My old band director was a big time bass fishermen, and I would go back and teach summer band camps for him, and he and his wife along with a bunch of other folks would all go stay at Seminole Lodge on the Florida side. But, a trip to seminole was never finished unntil we went to Wingates and ate lunch and sat on the porch and talked to ol' Jack. He is like a grandad to everyone. His resturaunt is like a museum to bass fishing and growing up in the south. I have some wonderful memories of that place. Brad Whitehead and I went down several years ago during spring break and stayed 3 days. We got on some bedding fish in Spring Creek and had a ball catching 6 pounders on sinko's in 2 feet of water on a grass and sand bar flat. Well, that was back in my bass fishing days. I know would love to go back and fish some of that standing timbre on the creek channels of Spring creek slow trolling for crappie. I bet there are some real slabs in that lake.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association