Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ok heres some big ones

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok heres some big ones

Just thought I'd wet your appetite for monsters a little.

"Rick Heitmeyer and mom Darlene of Paris MO. caught these impressive crappie last summer (2003) on a local farm pond. Ok, so these crappie are not recently caught, however I just recently came into possession of this picture and felt that they are impressive enough to post up. The 2.7 lb. crappie on the right is dwarfed by the 4.2 lb. one on the left. The state record is 4.8 lbs"

----------------

4lb 6oz Crappie and a 5lb plus Shell Cracker
    These fish are on display at Northern Bait and Tackle
    5917 Roxboro Road Durham NC

-----------------------

4lbs 6ozs - Caught somewhere in Alabama

----------------------

I'm not sure that this pic isn't doctored - Bring it up with crappiekiller.com

George Krulik's 4lb 5oz monster

---------------------

"Charles Clark of Parrish, AL set a new all time record for CrappieUSA tournies with this 4.19 pound white crappie." I would think these guys would know what they are talking about but this looks like a black crappie to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    Identification: On first impressions, the black crappie looks black and white, but on closer examination it shows iridescent colors and sheens. Viewed from the front, its body is very compressed, narrow from side to side. Viewed from the side, it is deep-bodied, not as long-looking in its proportions as the white crappie. The back is olive to bright metallic-green, or a bluish gray. On its silvery sides are dark spots that are scattered or that appear in indistinct horizontal rows, not in vertical rows, as on the white crappie. There are also splotches that make a wavy pattern on its dorsal, anal and caudal fins. One way to distinguish the black crappie from the white is to count the spines on its dorsal fins. The black crappie has seven or eight spines on its dorsal fin. The white crappie has only five or six dorsal spines. Black crappies that live in clear, vegetated water have darker contrasting patterns on the body, while those from murkier water are lighter, appearing more “bleached.”

Now go out and get some so we can have pics from one of us in this list.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-13-2006 at 07:27 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

impressive whenever they was caught
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice Crappie. I sure have never caught any like those. Couple of pounds is the best I can do. Some day Maybe? Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the vertical bars on that crappie. Looks like a white crappie to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Real nice! I've never got one much over two pounds either!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a better pic of the charles clark crappie, and a couple more nice 3lb tourny fish. Here are a couple more reasons I think Clarks is a black crappie. First look at the obvious difference in shape and coloring. White crappies are more streamlined like a white bass and blacks are shaped closer to sunfish, plus the obvious color and side pattern difference. One more giveaway is the size of thier mouths. In my experience whites have larger mouths than the equivalent sized black. Even though clarks crappie is a full lb heavier it looks to have a substantially smaller mouth.

Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-14-2006 at 12:56 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

In that pic it does look like a black, but you can still see a little vertical pattern. The first pic you could clearly see it. Maybe it was hybrid, judging by the first pic which is the clearest, I'd say they have it right by being a white. Also it only looks to have 5 spines which is another indication of it being a white.