Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie trolling

How many of you troll for crappie? I hear about tourny fishermen trolling and getting nice fish and have read about some trolling, but havn't seen anyone actually doing it. What are your thoughts? Personally, I hate trolling. I want the rod in my hands and love casting too much.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I slow Troll to locate new spots. I drop a bouy anytime I get a hit and work the area thoroughly. I have found many hotspots doing this. I normally use minnows when doing so, then switch to jigs when I find a spot the fish are holding. Many times have I come out with a limit by trolling and finding that one first fish. I have yet to "spider rig" and usually troll with 3-4 rods just laying in the boat. I call this method "Recon", cause once I have located the enemy, I start to boat the heck out of 'em. I normally start my trips doing this in new locations because I am always looking for the spot where the big boys can be found. If it is unproductive, I hit some of the usual spots so as not to go home empty.
    As for tournament fishermen doing this, it is the fastest way for them to locate some fish on unfamilliar waters. One never knows when they will cross over an area that is holding a great number of fish, some of those being monsters.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 01-13-2006 at 06:36 AM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I like that...Now that is a stragey I will use.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling and spiderriging you cover alot of water and locate fish
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I have been catching crappie trolling with my troll motor set about 3 ( of 10) depending on wind and direction ( since the late 70's). I use the 1/32 oz. Roadrunners for the most part although I do use some other jigs like small tubes. This is very effective especially in the Spring and Fall around grass.

Once you find a good spot/track that you can catch several each way. I do go back and forth over the same track until I don't get any hits. I have never fished a more productive method.

My favorite. color for the Roadrunners is Red/Green/Chart, but I do try others however most have Chart included. The tubes I use the most is Blue/White.

The Summer I use minnows over brush piles for the most part and stop trolling.

I also use a jig called the Big Crappie Jig (it is not big, LOL) either Pink or Chart and they have a silver head.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling by far is the most productive method for me in the spring and fall
    i use 9,10, and 11 ft rods rigged with 4lb cajun line and two 1/16 oz hair jigs
    tripped with minnows pulled at a sped of .9 on gps which will get you approx 11 feet deep if fish are shallowere remove 1 jig or go to smaller size.I start trolling in the sring when water temp reached 49-50 degrees fish gather around mouths of creeks
    just follow them back as water warms.
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good ideas

I am going to try that this spring!
    Bill:D

Post Thanks / Like

Don't troll too much but have been doing a bit this winter, only use jigs by the way. Love to feel the thump so mainly have a pole in each hand. One thing I seem to have noticed this winter is that if there is quite a bit of wind and the boat has a lot of movement the crappie don't seem to bite on the troll as well. I believe they want as little movement as possable in the winter and some other times also, any thoughts on that. Back when I fished a few tourneys one May my partner and I found them suspended about 20 feet off a sharp point and the only way we could get them to bite was to hold the jig as still as possable.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

How much line do you usually put out?

Post Thanks / Like

I do alot of trolling in a lake that has both walleyes and crappies. Since we can only use 2 poles at a time I troll. Get quite a few LARGE crappies trolling lures for walleyes. Usually down about 10-15 deep over 20+ foot of water. Don't need too many 1-2 pounders to make a good meal. Covers alot of water and if I find a school I mark them and cast jigs to them. Usually 1 1/2 mph-2 1/2 mph. Any long minnow imatation will work. I happen to use Hot -n-Tots and Shad Raps.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast