Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Oologah carp and gar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oologah carp and gar

I also forgot to mention that I went to the very far back of a creek and seen tons of carp spawning. They were absolutely everywhere like I have never seen them before. They splashing and chasing each other and causing a huge ruckus. It would have been a bowfishermans dream.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieThug View Post
    I also forgot to mention that I went to the very far back of a creek and seen tons of carp spawning.
    Crush up some wheaties mixed with some strawberry pop into a dough bait and you'll have your hands full catching Carp!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, the classic Strawberry Pop and Wheaties bait. What is wierd is that I tried regular pepsi and wheaties compared to Strawberry Pop and wheaties one time at Grand. I got no bites on the Pepsi dough bait and caught several on the strawberry pop. Those carp can sure be particular, LOL. These sure are fun to catch, too bad they arent good to eat, atleast for me they arent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieThug View Post
    Oh yeah, the classic Strawberry Pop and Wheaties bait. What is wierd is that I tried regular pepsi and wheaties compared to Strawberry Pop and wheaties one time at Grand. I got no bites on the Pepsi dough bait and caught several on the strawberry pop. Those carp can sure be particular, LOL. These sure are fun to catch, too bad they arent good to eat, atleast for me they arent.
    CT, I worked overseas for 11 years and after you leave the USA, carp are the main fish on the market. They pay good money for em around the world. I never have eaten one, (I never eat fish while in another country) but guess just too many other good eaters to mess with em.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent eaten one either, but I hear they are disgusting. I hear they have to be steamed in order to eat them properly because they are so boney. I have even heard of people steaming them in their dishwasher, Gross! But not really sure, perhaps a Carp Eater can chime in on the proper way to prepare them.

Post Thanks / Like

The spotted gar and shortnose gar are spawning also. A friend and I shot over a hundred carp/buffalo/gar last Sunday while bowfishing. There were so many we were walking in the shallows and stabbing them with our arrows....population control! As far as eating them...My grandpa has cooked me carp when I was younger and they tasted pretty good. Along the lines of catfish to me. He scored the fillet in order for the hot grease to melt the bones.
    Rusty

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the location of the carpville. If your in a boat, be careful because it gets super shallow, as you approach the area, you will here tons of splashing.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this doesn't apply to crappie or carp but i got a report from a friend that they caught sveral Blues yesterday from Oologah. He said he caught several over the 30 pound mark best day he ever had they said. Keep ion mind of the new Blue restrictions of only one over 30 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know how long the carp and gar will be active like that? I'd like to buy an attachement for my bow but probably won't have time to go until another couple weeks.