Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 or 5 wt rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 or 5 wt rod?

hey guys. I just had a rod stolen form me and since I got to get a new one, I wanted you guys opinion on what rod to get. I WILL be using this mainly for Bream but also take it to the coast to play with the lady fish and a few other smaller types. I had a 4/5 wt and loved it. Got to pick it up tomorrow as me and wifey are heading to camp all weekend long. Full Moon so they OUGHT to be in the beds, least the bull blues anyways!!!! Kinda looking at this

White River Fly Shop Dogwood Canyon Fly Rod

in the 8'6" 5 wt. Think that's to much for some big ole bluegills and say 1 lb bass that I know I'll catch?
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

my self i like it....from what i understand about fly rods it will work

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught lots of gills on a 5wt and didn't feel overgunned. A 5wt will handle wind and larger flies better.

For a pure bream rod, you could go lower. For what you're doing, I think a 5wt will be fine.

P.S. Bass Pro has a Memorial Day sale going on. Their Hobbs Creek fly rods are included in the sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just don;t want TO MUCH rod

I've been fly fishing for close to 40 years and had always used those lightweight Eagle rods. I FINALLY broke down and spent 100 bucks on a 4/5 wt and loved it. This one is a sho nuff 5 wt and want it to handle say a 4 or 5 lb bass is I play it right. Then again, I want to have fun with a 1/2 lb bream as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonDon View Post
    This one is a sho nuff 5 wt and want it to handle say a 4 or 5 lb bass is I play it right.
    People catch trout that size on 5wts all the time. A 5 is a good compromise rod. It's not perfect for every situation, but it does a good job in a lot of situations.

I would take a look at the Temple Forks rods, too (TFO.) Their Signature series costs about $100 and comes with a lifetime warranty. I have two TFO's. They're very good rods for the money, and the company is top-notch.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DB4D - You still staying alive? :D
    You all are giving that guy some good scoop. I'll add to it - 5-weight rules for bluegills and redears with a chance for bass and crappie.
    And it's a fair stick for those smelly salmonoids in high places if you so choose.
    But I would keep it 8 feet or a bit less. Personal preference, that's all.
    Bon chance.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly rod

Like Disco said, Temple Fork! I have a 8 1/2 ft 4wt. It is a great rod. I bought it for myself as a retirement gift 3 years ago this Sept. I have already broken it twice. Each time it was my fault. TF charges you a $25 dollars fee and sends you a new rod quickly. No questions asked.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4wgt 7 ft and 5 wgt 8.5 ft. Caught a LM/Bass - 6lbs on the 4 wgt and kept him in open wtr and had no problem bringing him in. But for distance, wind etc. and depending on what else u may stumble onto while panfishing I prefer my 8.5 5 wgt for all around fishing. The important thing is how well u p[lay the fish and let the rod do the work. My 4wgt is many years old, a Loomis and the one of my 5 wgts is a Lefty Kreh and the other which is my favorite and no longer made, Penn Gold Crown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Hey DB4D - You still staying alive? :D
    Well, I"m definitely gettin' jiggy wi' it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

5 wt at 8'6" it is then. I only use it when the bream are bedding or when I make a trip down to the coast which is looking more and more like that ain't gonna happen with this oil spill crap. The lake I'm going to after work and camping at all weekend long has some 3 pound Chinkipens and a bunch of 2 pound bluegills or so they claim, we'll see LOL

Here's this weeks fishing report so I HOPE I wear them out

Numerous 1/2 to 1 pound BASS are still dominant along the margins on various plastics and small topwater baits (early and late). Almost all anglers are catching a daily limit.

BREAM are have moved up into water 4' deep and they are biting good. Many large with a lot well over a pound! Crickets seem to be out-producing redworms. Most fishermen are catching around 20 in just a short time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast