Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigging with telescopic rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging with telescopic rods

I am thinking of getting a few 16ft rod but a buddy of mine uses those shooting star telescopic rods and swears they work good. Have any of yall used these spider rigging jigs with any success? They appear to be too flimsy..

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 12 footers for spider rigging a couple times. 16 footers seem a bit long. I recently got into spider rigging and if your serious about it, you should get some b&m or similiar jig poles and reels. I have one rod holder up front that holds 4 rods and that's all i'm running right now.

If you're just playing around with it right now, you can use telescoping poles. You just can't adjust the depth on the poles. As far as the 16 ft poles, I think that is kinda long for spider rigging. I use 2 12 ft poles and 2 11 foot poles.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some solid 10',11',12',13'ers but he was talking those 16' up.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with telescoping rods and found out I didn't like them but if that's what u want to start with and it fits in your budget about anything will work. If your budget is where you can buy Higher end rods I would also recommend http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-179-pro-st...ing-rod.aspx.I use them for spider rigging and flat lining.If you haven't spider rigged much I would go with 12s all the same length with green tips.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Most the time I see folks using this style of pole is cause they were too cheap to buy a good'un...I don't see a lot of them around for very long if you get my drift.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that. I just like the portability of them

Post Thanks / Like

Spider Rigging can be tough enough for beginners without using inferior rods. I've seen several brands of the 16 foot telescoping rods and in my opinion, they're too wimpy. I use 4 - 12 foot rods. I like a rod with some backbone so I can lift those slabs right into the boat. The B'n'M trolling rod is a little too soft at the tip for me. I use 12 ft. rods from gtcrappiezone.com. They're a little stiffer and a lot more durable than the B'n'M rods. Plus, the price is right if you're trying to outfit your boat.

The stiffest rod I've used for Spider Rigging is the Wally Marshall Tightline Specials. I have one of the 12 footers and it works good on big slabs, but it's a little heavier also. The funny thing is I also have a 14 footer and it's not as stout as the 12. I guess the extra length makes it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

The shooting stars is what I started spider-rigging with too. Sac's right, I was too cheap to turn loose of $50/pole just to try a method that I wasn't sure I would like. Come to think of it, I'm still too cheap for $50/pole. I use the BnM bgjp's in 11 and 12'ers, they work fine for how I use them. I don't spider-rig with a lot of weight, and don't crank any. Just get what you can afford and try it. If you don't like them, there will be someone come along to take them off your hands. That's what I did, and went and bought what I thought would work for me. Shoot, I think I heard/read somewhere about some old-schoolers running cane poles. Who'da thunk it... Anyhow, the rods I had were fourteen footers and they worked fine. I wanted two piece poles for ease of breaking down. You would think that a telescoping pole would be easier,but wasn't for me.
    Last edited by talltimber; 05-20-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buck_jackson75 View Post
    I have some solid 10',11',12',13'ers but he was talking those 16' up.
    If you have all those rods, I'd use them first to try out spider rigging. Put the longer poles in the middle. This will help in keeping your lines out of your trolling motor. I'd start off trolling at between .8 and 1 mph.
    I don't break down my poles. I just run them down the length of my boat on the left side. I installed a strap to hold them in place. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are what I purchased to spider rig with, most are west points. I was looking for another length pole to add to the arsenal. I'm afraid of breaking the poles during transport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast