Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice... batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need some advice... batteries.

Well, I have always had below average deep cycle trolling motor batteries, but with my new electronics, below average is NOT cutting it. So I start to look into a high end battery, and holy smokes, I'm gonna need to take out a second mortage to buy two (I have a 24 volt system). I have heard good things and bad things about the "six pack batteries", but I also see that there are a ton of other brands, so what do you guys have to say? I don't mind paying top dollar if it is worth it. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
    Ask me about: Bobby Garland, CrappiePro, Yeti Coolers, Power-Pole, and Simms Products!

Post Thanks / Like

My boat is setup with 24V and the trolling motor is the only thing that runs off those batteries. EVERYTHING else runs off my cranking battery. I've trolled more than 9 hours and still have plenty of juice at the end of the day. No problem with running HB 797c SI, livewell pumps and aerator and motor not starting. 3-bank charger that I leave plugged in 24/7. To answer your question, here's what I have for trolling batteries AutoZone.com | Battery - Automotive and Marine | 12 Volts, 1000 CA Marine Dual Purpose Battery. 12 Month Free Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the time when I'm on the water I'm trolling. I've been using Wal-mart specials the last several years and get about two good seasons out of them before I notice the charged time starts really decreasing. I swore next time I was gonna spend the money and buy an Optima (six pack) battery. I did however recently find Interstate deep cycle batteries at National Boat Mart on the West side of Indy for $74.

On a side note, I have found that keeping a trickle/tender charger on the battery all the time, even through the winter, really helps.
    Last edited by BigHookCrappieJigs; 05-20-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Like Momma always said, "There ain't nothin' worse than a messy tackle box!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, spend the extra $ and buy the optima! I use a Optima dual purpose battery and I have never brought my boat home with it under 11 Volts, it has been a wonderful battery but costly at $209.00. If you don't want to spend the extra cash on a Optima I would very highly recomend a Ac Delco Voyager at about $90.00 at Auto Tech in Marion, Grant county. The optima is very hard to beat though but expensive. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDust View Post
    Hi, spend the extra $ and buy the optima! I use a Optima dual purpose battery and I have never brought my boat home with it under 11 Volts, it has been a wonderful battery but costly at $209.00. If you don't want to spend the extra cash on a Optima I would very highly recomend a Ac Delco Voyager at about $90.00 at Auto Tech in Marion, Grant county. The optima is very hard to beat though but expensive. Good luck
    if you got the money drop on what you can afford me myself have the big yellow battries from walmart has them 4 years and no problems whatsoever i use three batteries 2for trolling 1 cranking after fishing i plug up my on board charger and forget it to the next fishing trip
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it has been along time that I bought batteries. Look at the receipt and this is the 5th year on them. Think I will replace them even though they still run fine all day. Take a look at AC Delco, they have the group 27 that would be fine for starting and electronics. I will get the 30 group this time for the trolling batteries. Online says the 27 group is 98.00, 30 group is 130.00 each.
    Last edited by brushnjigs; 05-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i use interstate batteries. i am going to start stocking them in my bait shop

Post Thanks / Like

Default batteries

interstate batteries, run about 85 to 90 $ a peice
    Blakemore/Roadrunner pro staff
    Southern Pro Tackle/ Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Rodholders
    Ranger Boats

kwerdal is offline Moderator Indiana Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Autozone has a marine battery with 210 reserve capcity highest i have ever seen $110 eACH
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiggshooter View Post
    if you got the money drop on what you can afford me myself have the big yellow battries from walmart has them 4 years and no problems whatsoever i use three batteries 2for trolling 1 cranking after fishing i plug up my on board charger and forget it to the next fishing trip
    The last Wal-mart Everlast marine deepcycle battery I purchased lasted me about 4 yrs., so knock on wood! Usually they go when the warrety does, which I think is 3 yrs. I kept it stored in my closet in the winter time also, mine however was black in color not yellow and it may have not been the largest one, but...... anyway I was happy with it and got it relatively cheap so I went to Wal-Mart and checked into another one early this year ant the cheapest one I saw was like $74.00 so why spend that when you can get a Delco or Interstate for not even $20.00 more that usually last at least 8 yrs or better. So I chose to buy a AC/ Delco Voyager for my starting batt and a Optima for my troller which is only a 12V system, but I cant kill that Optima if I tried, I ought to test it and see how many hours or days I could troll with it straight hahahaha! I just went out to the garage and checked the manufacture date on that dead everstart " I still have it but it no good" the date was 8/06 and it was done for about last July, I remember my cousin and I camped at Miss and it started giving me issues then. Just my 2 cents happy shopping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast