Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crispy filets without frying???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crispy filets without frying???

I know this can be done with other meats, but what about with fish. My wife calls it oven frying. Yea, its a health thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting question. I assume you could just bread them and place them on a cookie sheet and bake. But Crappie tend to dry out quickly. How about dipping them in an egg/water mixture or milk and then the breading. Can you eat ANY OIL at all? If so, drizzle Olive Oil on the cookie sheet before you place the breaded filets on the pan. Also, try using a little higer heat to cook them quickly and as soon as ready, squeeze some fresh lemon juice with chopped roasted garlic on them and then sprinkle some parsley on it. You can always use PAM as a "oil substite" by LIGHTLY coating the pan.

What do ya think? Tell me a little bit more about the limits on the oil they want you to consume and maybe we can "soup it up a bit" if they say things like Olive Oil in moderation are OK or even good for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I do it all the time

I posted a recipe last year and Jerry Blake has tweaked it, but I don't know if it's still in the recipe file here on the forum.

The first caveat of oven frying is that you must use something that has a fair amount of oil in it or it just gets gooey. Egg doesn't work very well. I either use Hellmans mayo thinned with a little milk or olive oil
    Dip your filets in the oil, then dredge through crushed CheeseNips crackers (add some sesame seed or chopped pecans for extra flavor) or London seasoned bread crumbs.
    Place on a wire cake rack on top of a cookie sheet or baking dish lined with foil. You don't want the filets (or pork cutlets, boneless chicken breasts, etc) sitting in the oil. You don't even have to turn them if you use the wire rack.
    Bake at 350 or 375 (my oven is a little hinky) until the coating is crispy. Panfish take about twenty minutes; boneless pork and chicken about 45. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

specker Guest

I bake fillets more often tham I fry them. Here is my recipie:
    On a small plate pour out a good amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Dip each fillet in the oil then dredge in Progresso Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Lay the fillets out flat on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 30 mins. The key is to not overcook them or they dry out. This is how my Italian Grandmother cooked fish and it is good. I like to squeeze some lemon on them before I eat them. Bon Apitito!!
    Last edited by specker; 01-13-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

We use "Fryin MAGIC" alot,just use the oven method. It doesnt dry out ,makes them crispy, and no fryer!!Alot Quicker and easy to use!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I don't HAVE to give up fried foods, but if I can still have my crispy fish and eat them too, then all the better.