Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My home grown panfish meal

Post Thanks / Like

Default My home grown panfish meal

These are the little guys, red wigglers as they are called or manure worms. None of them are over 3-3.5 inches and very thin but I think they will make a nice dinner for the fish Iwant to make dinner out of.

Now If I can't catch some panfish on this mass of wigglers dinner bells I don't deserve to catch them. This will be my main bait in the local crappie and panfish lakes this summer if it ever warms up. That is if my jigs fail me.

All of them are home grown indoors in my little composting bins. Very easy and was actually fun. Got some compost out of it to grow some fresh greens and herbs to go with my fillets/
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some good lookin' worms. Which style of bin are you using? I'm using a homemade setup---2 containers high and I'm not sure it's producing that volume of worms. There are babies in there so I assume the conditions are right.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodduck View Post
    Those are some good lookin' worms. Which style of bin are you using? I'm using a homemade setup---2 containers high and I'm not sure it's producing that volume of worms. There are babies in there so I assume the conditions are right.
    John, let me know if you get any of the old original red wigglers as posted..Use to catch BIG bluegills at Gatewood Res..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Red Wigglers, Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of worms, the Cadillac of worms.:D

You should get some good 'Gills with those.

Post Thanks / Like

look good..myself i raise night crawlers..Everyone talks of how hard it is, the secret is to feep them cool and change bedding

Post Thanks / Like

that manure stink up your house? nice looking fish bait for gills especially, but not pleasant for the human eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Their castings don't stink at all, smells like fresh slightly wet dirt.

I grew those in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid bucket, only one and sorted them yesterday. I don't have the stacking type yet and I actually doubt I will get them. When I sorted these I got over 100 egg cases which will add up to another 200-500 worms to keep my populations high in the new bedding.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

This post was very interesting guys thanks for posting it. Very informative. I hope every body takes alook at this wonder post.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a great compost pile by accident after the ice storm here few years ago, the power company ask it they could dump the chippings on the hill sure says I go ahead. well two mo. later and one heck of a pile of chips I turned and plowed and dragged and turned and this year I have night crawlers and bunch of them and great big ones alos almost as big a river worms, good walley bait, got to love them worms

Post Thanks / Like

There are 3 kinds of composting worms available and 1 of them is a huge worm, 8-9 inches long. AZslabber has them and raves about them. There is also one that is brachish water tolerant. I am gonna get some african crawlers really soon so I have a hopefully endless supply of fishing worms both large and small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast