Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18.5-inch Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default 18.5-inch Crappie

Our crew in the Gray Ghost guided by Carlos Duggan caught this 18.5-inch crappie today:

It has six dorsal spines but by the body shape and coloration I suspect that it's a hybrid. In it's Post-Spawn condition it only weighed 2-pounds, 4-ounces.

During Pre-Spawn we've had 16-inch crappie that weighed well over 2-pounds and 17-inch crappie that weighed 3-pounds so this fish could well have been nearly 4-pounds if it was in good shape before the spawn.

It IS "going on the wall".
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    Our crew in the Gray Ghost guided by Carlos Duggan caught this 18.5-inch crappie today:

It IS "going on the wall".
    Can't say as I blame ya! I'd do the same! Great fish

Post Thanks / Like

That there's a nice looking white crappie. Nice catch.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

man u killin me, i've got to get out and catch fish like that, great job, i'd be honored to have that fish on my wall
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

nice fish

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm catching white crappie now that just doesnt have a belly at all since theyve spawned. Ashamed that fish wasnt pre-spawn. It woulda been HUGH (well, it still is:o). Congrats to the lucky fisherman.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome fish!

I mounted a 4 pound 0oz black crappie that measured 20 3/4 inches but was so skinny you could have read thru it. It was caught in a small impoundment in late August in 2004. The guy who caught it decided to skip payment on the fish so after a court fight, I own it and use it for display. I have always wondered what it would have weighed pre-spawn?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here's why I say it may be a hybrid. Notice that there are only a couple vertical bars and they don't go all the way up the side? It also has a much more of a square body shape than our white crappie usually have and the black dot on the gill plate isn't nearly as pronounced as it usually is on white crappie. This is what our white crappie usually look like:

The markings from the mid-line up are more typical of a black crappie like these:

Here it is again for comparison (so you don't have to scroll up and down):

It WAS a purdy thing - that's for sure!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Amazing fish! Very good hybrid explanation.

One more thing. Congrats on being included in this months In-Fisherman Adventure section. WTG. You deserve it. Quite a year your having.

How was that fish caught BTW?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    Wow! Amazing fish! Very good hybrid explanation.

One more thing. Congrats on being included in this months In-Fisherman Adventure section. WTG. You deserve it. Quite a year your having.

How was that fish caught BTW?
    Hey GRIZZ:

The fish was caught on a minnow - shiner or Rosy Red - on an Eagle Claw #6 Light Wire Aberdeen Cricket Hook about 8-feet deep under a slip-float while "hovering" around a Bamboo Crappie Condo.

Carlos has been doing very well since he took over the Gray Ghost - bringing in some really nice catches and making folks want to come back to fish with us.

I just heard about the "mention" in In-Fisherman yesterday but haven't seen it yet. The editor sent me a copy but had my old address so he got it back. He emailed me yesterday for my new address. I'll take all the "Free Press" I can get!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast