Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times do you retie your jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many times do you retie your jigs

I’ve started using loop knots when tying my jigs. This knot seems to keep the jig in a horizontal position and allows a more natural look when jigging. The only thing wrong with the knot that I can tell is that it’s a weak knot. This knot defiantly breaks more than the clinch knot I’ve used in the past. The problem I keep having is forgetting to retie my knots before they become weak. Wanted to know if you all religiously retie your jigs as you fish, or if you retie only after they break. Because I can tell you they always break when I have a large crappie at the end of the line.

Here's an intersting site with animation on how to tie knots: http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

I use a braided line. Spiderwire Stealth, which is 4 lb diameter but like 15lb test (really stronger than that) and you can't manually break it. Very little stretch, great "feel". Rare to break one off

Post Thanks / Like

Palomar knot gives you double the line thru the eyelet.

Some of the loop knots can weaken your line just by tightening the knot while tying even if you wet the line in my opinion.

If you are breaking off and you can tell the break occurred at the knot......your line was probably damaged after you tightened the knot.

Braided line is hard on eyelets and reels.....but it's hell to break for them big fish.
    Last edited by Krazy; 05-19-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not until it breaks which is not very often. Power Pro Braid. Usually break the jig first.

Post Thanks / Like

On the advice of Bwillaub, I switched to Power Pro 10/2 in green. I used mono for over 35 years and thought I would never switch. I like the power pro so much I put it on everything. Keeferfish is correct; you'll break the jig before the line.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also double your line thru the eye of the jig when you tie your loop knot. This will make the knot much stronger.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    You can also double your line thru the eye of the jig when you tie your loop knot. This will make the knot much stronger.
    You still have the issue with damaging the line in the knot if you are using mono.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 50# braided line ( 1/3 the dia of mono) for bass but have not tried it for sacs....after reading this post I think I will order some 12#.....one thing though....this line is only good on a spinning reel......after 6 years of use I have never broke off a fish....I tried all the other braids and they are too stiff for me....this stuff is limp as sewing machine thread....can't wear it out....see link......thanks for the info

Izorline Spectra Fiber Fishing Line
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    Never thought of that. Good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Palomar knot gives you double the line thru the eyelet.

Some of the loop knots can weaken your line just by tightening the knot while tying even if you wet the line in my opinion.

If you are breaking off and you can tell the break occurred at the knot......your line was probably damaged after you tightened the knot.

Braided line is hard on eyelets and reels.....but it's hell to break for them big fish.
    Never though about me damaging the line. Good advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast