Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yo-Yos anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yo-Yos anyone?

Just thought I'd ask if anyone ever uses them? I haven't used them in a while but have had great luck with them over the years with live bait for flatheads.

My cousin taught me to use them by placing a power swivel about a foot over the hook and a snap swivel snapped to the top of the yo-yo. The extra swivel really helps with line twist.

To the line that is to be tied to the tree limb we tie a trot-line snap that makes for fast setting and removal. Just wrap around a limb a couple of times and snap it to the standing line.

In between the power swivel and the yo-yo we place a drawstring clip (like the ones on drawstring bags or windbreakers). Just push the button and it slides up and down the line. Set it so when the yo-yo is in the retracted position the hook is still in the water a foot or two. This serves two purposes. The first is to keep the fish's head in the water so it doesn't die and become a snack for the turtles. Nothing worse that retrieving just a head. The second is if a fish strikes the bait and doesn't get caught, assuming the bait is still on, you will still be fishing, just a little shallower. you can buy these for around $.25 at the fabric shops.

The last thing we do is place a little reflective tape on the sides of the yo-yo. It is very exciting to shine a light down a river bank and see the yo-yos dancing with fish on them.

The only drawback to a yo-yo is they are not gator proof. Even a small gator can destroy them. If a gator gets hold of the fish it caught, there will be sprung parts dangling for the limb it was tied to.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips! I don't yo-yo much, run some trot lines and like to toss out some jugs (pool noodles).

I have a yo-yo question for you. Maybe its my cheap yo-yo's , I'm not sure, but the line seems to get fraid on them pretty easy. Do you change out the line on them to something different? if so what? It seemms line the part the line runs through just abraids it. I thought about trying to file it and then put a different line on it.

BTW - I love my reflective tape too!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how yours are made. Mine have a stainless spring that the line runs through. The spring loop is very smooth. We don't seem to have line fray other than from twist. The extra swivel helps. Ours are fairly cheep, around $25 per 12. I have had better luck with them than jugs. I think it is because the brush tops hold bait fish and serve as a lair for the flatheads.

Post Thanks / Like

On mine, the lines up through a tab that has a hole in it. I think I'm going to look at trying to smooth it out or modifying it some how.

I'm ususally just after eater channels. I didn;t know if a yo-yo would even hold up to a big flat. I tried setting a few limb lines last year with some live baits for flats, but didn't have much luck.

Post Thanks / Like

We have caught them up to 30 lbs. l limber limb help with the shock of a big fish. Last couple of years, we have started putting all the big one back. They are just too much trouble and even if you get all the fat off them, they still don't taste like a 2 pounder. IMHO

Would a small piece of tubing fit inside the hole? It would stop line fray.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, I don't like eating the big cats - I'll take 2 - 3 lber's any day for eating.

Tubing might work - and I happen to have some fuel tubing I bought that turned not to be quite the size I needed - I might stick it on the yo-yo's instead of returning it.

Post Thanks / Like

They must be making yo yo's alot stronger than they used to. Its been 30 yrs since i did it and it was only for crappie. We could always tell when we had a cat because the only thing left hanging from the limb was the back plate. we did manage to catch some small cats but nothing of any size. we lost alot of them to what we figured were just big cats.
    Freedom isnt free, semper fi
    KI4SYJ

Post Thanks / Like

2-7lbs are my favorite to eat, channel then blues, the flatheads last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 8fishermen View Post
    To the line that is to be tied to the tree limb we tie a trot-line snap that makes for fast setting and removal. Just wrap around a limb a couple of times and snap it to the standing line.

In between the power swivel and the yo-yo we place a drawstring clip (like the ones on drawstring bags or windbreakers). Just push the button and it slides up and down the line. Set it so when the yo-yo is in the retracted position the hook is still in the water a foot or two. This serves two purposes. The first is to keep the fish's head in the water so it doesn't die and become a snack for the turtles. Nothing worse that retrieving just a head. The second is if a fish strikes the bait and doesn't get caught, assuming the bait is still on, you will still be fishing, just a little shallower. you can buy these for around $.25 at the fabric shops.

any chance you could upload a photo of this - i'm not real bright and need visual help. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pulplip fiction View Post
    any chance you could upload a photo of this - i'm not real bright and need visual help. thanks.
    Guess I should have already done that. I use tow different colors of reflective tape so I can do a drive by and see if the yo-yo is sprung.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast