Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help... Crappie Not Biting Under Dock Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help... Crappie Not Biting Under Dock Lights

Hi All

I used the search function but can't find the answer to this. Here's the story

I added a couple halogen lights to my dock to attract zoo-plankton and bait fish. It does that job wonderfully. I have a ton of zoo-plankton and little blue minnows that are too small to put on a hook under them. In turn this has attracted HUGE Crappie, Bass and White Perch. I can literally watch them make circle after circle, turn on their side and open their mouths to eat. However I can't catch a single one of them. They REFUSE to bite a single thing I put in the water.

I've tried:

jigs/lures
    night crawlers/worms
    crappie bites
    spinners
    rattle baits

I even tried gigging and man those suckers are FAST!

The only thing I haven't tried is a net

My friend suggested that maybe the fish are overfed. But if this is the case why do they continue to circle. Any ideas? I'm willing to try anything short of jumping in.

Thanks you for your attention
    Nonrev76

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Since they are feeding on little baitfish...I would hook a nice minnow just under the dorsal fin and lower it down to them.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

i am like g3 i would try minnows. seems like a good place to start since they are already feeding on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

How does the size of bait you are using compare to what they are eating? Match the hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure gigging game fish in N.C. is illegal, so I'd leave that one alone if I was you.

Small minnows or tiny jigs, but don't fish right in the light... fish the dark edges of the light. The fish may be able to see your line in the bright light, I'd recommend 4 lb. test... you may even want to try some fluorocarbon 4#.

Try a 1/32 oz. jig head and a 1-1 1/2" curly tail grub.

Post Thanks / Like

Match the hatch!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any cover planted off the end of your dock??? Like others have said don't fish right in the light but off to the edge. While you can see small minnows in the water in the darker water might be larger ones, get some bigger ones and try them.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

try evening time into dark...if that dont work then try daylight till about 8 am or so

Post Thanks / Like

maybe try a lil' fishie swim bait in pearl with black back color. I have had GREAT success with these little swim baits fishing under lighted docks at night, when other baits like tubes, roadrunners and grubs were being painfully ignored. tied on a lil fishie and started swimming it through the light and BAM, started catching crappie, bass, white bass, hybrids, whatever is in there. I think it is because as others mentioned, the lil fishie was "matching the hatch"