Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Fish at KC Corp Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Fish at KC Corp Challenge

I saw something unbelievable at Smithville Lake this weekend and the weigh-in for the KC Corp Challenge. I saw roughly a hundred crappie weighed in between 12-14 inches! Last year I saw less than a quarter of that many big crappie come in, lots of people were fishing with bobber and minnow combinations. I guess this would mean the spawn is on at Smithville? Did anyone else fish the KC Corp Challenge and see the same thing that I saw? Is it possible that Smithville Lake is trying to shead its dubious distinction as Dinkville Lake or Shortville Lake? :D What do you guys think, opinions welcomed. I would love to hear from some people who fished the tournament.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you fish Smithville last year alot of big fish come out of this lake. And the fishing is only going to get better after the spawn.
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The whites should be coming to the banks. The whites are growing much better and big fish are not surprising, at least to me. Now I've just got to get my boat work done so I get after them! Summer fishing at Smithville is often better than spring so it looks like a good summer if it'll just stop raining and warm up.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they caught them at Truman and weighed in at Smithville Sorry STL, just being a smart azz

Post Thanks / Like

I believe ya Jack. Catch us some seed for Twain and throw in a couple 2 pounders, "please". LOL.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    Did you fish Smithville last year alot of big fish come out of this lake. And the fishing is only going to get better after the spawn.
    I fished last year but I didn't stick around for the full weigh-in, once we got the results from our division I left. I'll have to put some time on the lake after the spawn and see if I can find some more of these fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I think they caught them at Truman and weighed in at Smithville Sorry STL, just being a smart azz
    LOL! They were definitely Truman worthy fish, we weren't fishing for the spawners we were fishing for the females staging but only caught one big girl so maybe they are on the bank. But which bank Truman or Smithville, Hmm:D

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like things are looking up for you guys on Smithville.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished and medaled in this event every year since 2002 and the results this year are very comparable to years past. It really has more to do with timing than anything else. The corporate challenge tries to time the crappie spawn with this event but it never seems to happen. This is the latest this event has ever been and if we would have had nice weather you would have seen even bigger catches. We have won our division in this event with as little as 4 crappie and one year caught 30 that weighed about 22lbs. It’s really just a timing thing.

You can look up past results on their web site.

Smithville has always had and always will have good fish and a lot of them. I think it gets the SHORT reputation because it does seem to be a lake where you can catch a TON of little fish.

Hope you had fun at the event. By the way how did you do? We managed to get third. All on jigs / No Minners!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I have fished and medaled in this event every year since 2002 and the results this year are very comparable to years past. It really has more to do with timing than anything else. The corporate challenge tries to time the crappie spawn with this event but it never seems to happen. This is the latest this event has ever been and if we would have had nice weather you would have seen even bigger catches. We have won our division in this event with as little as 4 crappie and one year caught 30 that weighed about 22lbs. It’s really just a timing thing.

You can look up past results on their web site.

Smithville has always had and always will have good fish and a lot of them. I think it gets the SHORT reputation because it does seem to be a lake where you can catch a TON of little fish.

Hope you had fun at the event. By the way how did you do? We managed to get third. All on jigs / No Minners!
    We took 5th, our smaller keepers came on jigs the big female white crappe and a pretty good female black crappie came on jigs tipped with minnows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast