Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wappello ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wappello ???

I need some info on Wappello and Lake Girardeau. My grandson lives in Jackson and some time this summer I want to drag my boat across the state and take him fishing. I've never fished either one. Camping? Boat ramps? Any guidance would be helpful in the planning.

Post Thanks / Like

wappapello has numerous camp grounds and boat ramps we have not camped there in years but when we go down for the day we put in at redman ramp there is a $3 day use fee. i would buy a lake map and only run the channel if running your big motor there r many trees and mud flats in the shallow parts of the lake just really watch for them if u head out of the channel. usually we spidder rig for crappie in summer with jigs tipped with minnows along the channel drops have always caught lots of fish but have to work for the keepers.if your after bluegills try cork and crickets cast along the banks near brush.

lake girardeau has about 10 primitive tent camping sites and a concrete boat ramp and parking area. any motors over 10hp must run at no wake. there are also alot of trees just under the water the closer you get to the shoreline.
    crappie r pretty hard to come by and i have not fished it in the summer before i would suggest jiggin the standing timber or throwin cork and minnows.
    you can catch some nice bluegills there we use crickets mostly but worms or rooter tails also work.

hope this will help out
    good luck and stay safe

Post Thanks / Like

I dont fish wappapello, but im with smitty on lake girardeau, i wouldn't even try crappie on that lake, just 160 acres or so, but the bluegill and big redear can be caught on crickets under floats, and the rooster tails are great there, catch bass and gills fairly easily, have fun!

hey Smitty, ever catch any musky out of there?? i haven't, but i swear i spooked one off a little grass flat a few weeks ago.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never caught one out of there
    a buddy of mine did bout 4 years ago on a buzzbait while bass fishing

Post Thanks / Like

We have been to Lake Girardeau the last 2 summers - did not catch crappie but did catch some nice blue gills and some huge redear. I had a muskie hooked on a curly tail but could not land it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. Anytime fishin with the grandson is a good time.
    Muskie huh? Bobber and cricket for grandson, muskie baits for me.