Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tull's Creek

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tull's Creek

Didn't do much today. We brought home 12 and 3 of them were well over a lb. I was glad to see that as I thought it would take them a while to recover from Isabel. What is strange (to me) is the fish there and in Newbegun are a lot fatter than those we caught in Beaverdam Lake. Wonder why that is???
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished Beaverdam, my buddy Scott went in the spring and said the same thing after we went to West Neck and caught some in June, he said the fish were twice as thick for a given length. At West Neck there were large schools of small shad and you could see the crappies and bass tearing through them. From checking stomach contents of lake fish it seems like they eat more scuds, grass shrimp and insects, which might mean they don't grow as fast or as big. It would be interesting to age compare fish of equal size from the different enviroments. The only lakes where we've seen shad of any numbers were Whitehurst and Little Creek and the crappies there can be real hard to find except during the spring spawn.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been planning on trying Little Creek one of these days but haven't made it yet. We did real well in Diascund last year. Sounds like we better wait till spring for Little Creek. You may have a point about their feeding. There is so much underwater grass in Beaverdam that I guess the bait fish have plenty of places to hide. There were large schools of minnows around the landing so I know they are in there.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default shad

I was on Lake Smith yesterday and shad are everywhere. I was going to Western Brach for crappie but the weather said the wind was going to be 10-25 NNE. I did manage 2 bass.

I have caught some nice crappie in Smith but no great numbers. I think pound and a half is decent fish.

When I fished there in the 70's all that was there was dinks and a couple of years I started fishing there again and my son and I picked up some nice fish.

I have marked some fish on the main lake on stumps but haven't tried to fish for them. Last year I saw one come up behind my jig that I knew was 2 lbs.

I still fish the Branch for crappie though most of my luck has been in the fall on stumps in the river channel.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, those stumps in the main lake are the place to try, a lot of them are old cypress stumps left from when the lakes were flooded. They are hollow and and we've caught up to a dozen nice fish out of a single stump. Those stumps are where Ludwig use to catch some real nice ones. I fished the pilings of the railroad trestle on the other side in the spring and and lost one near 2 lbs, thought it was a bass, reached down to lip grab it instead of net it and missed! The pilings stick up a couple of feet off the bottom and the ones in front of the spillway have a bunch of limbs wrapped around them from the spillway. I'm going out there Thursday or Friday if the weather isn't too bad and try again, a little rain would help to get some water going over the spillway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Didn't do much today. We brought home 12 and 3 of them were well over a lb. I was glad to see that as I thought it would take them a while to recover from Isabel. What is strange (to me) is the fish there and in Newbegun are a lot fatter than those we caught in Beaverdam Lake. Wonder why that is???

The creeks down here are full of baitfish. So there's plenty for em to eat right now. Probably why your not catching as many yet. Good Luck. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion