Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Baitcaster 's to troll?

ronnycl Guest

Default Baitcaster 's to troll?

I am interested in trolling for crappie and have some baitcaster rigs. Will these work?

Post Thanks / Like

I use my bass rigs for trolling and they work. The only problem I've come across is that they are too short. I got two of my four lines wrapped in the TM prop the last time I was out. I'm going to get some proper rigs one of these days, but for now they work for me...smedley
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

ronnycl - Get the latest issue of Crappie magazine. I get mine at Walmart. Look on page 28. It discusses the importance of depth control and the advantage of using baitcasting reels in trolling.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Are you refering to long line trolling ( fast) or slow trolling?

In either case you can use your baitcasting equipment.
    You must have away to control depth. In Fast trolling depth is controlled by speed, weight of lure and length of line. To measure the amount of line out, put a piece of white tape or mark your rod some way to show two ft. from the reel. Pull off the amount of line needed. I usually fish 50 to 70 ft. behind the boat when fast trolling and vary weight and speed to get depth. I can achive that distance by casting with a spinning reel. That is why I use a spinning reel, it is quicker.
    If you are slow trolling or vertical jigging just do the same thing. Once you have achieved your depth or distance take a magic marker and mark your line. Carry more than one color marker. If you break of or retie, remeasure the line and mark with the second color. Tip - :p don't buy washable markers.
    If you are going to use the baitcasting rods, just be careful when you set the hook. The name papermouth is very true.
    In slow trolling the bite can be very subtle, a stiff rod is not really conducive to that type fishing.
    I fish with baitcasters for crappie all the time. I love them for slow trolling ( tight linning, spider rigging or whatever you want to call it). I use them on crappie rods however.

request * go to the user CP link in the upper left hand corner and let us know a little more about you.

By the way - WELCOME !!!!!! to the board.
    Last edited by whizkids; 01-12-2006 at 03:58 PM.