Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nightstalking During Spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nightstalking During Spawn?

Our spawn is just getting ready to go full swing in the next week here in Northeast Ohio, and I was wondering if anyone nightstalked during that time.

I found a spot where I caught some beauty's during the day, but once the sun went down it was over. I stayed in the same place for 5 hours after dark using an underwater light, had tons of bait fish swarming my light, but no crappie?

After midnight I left. I was in about 17 feet of water about 50' from shore.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was ALL OVER the fish a couple years ago running out of minners every trip, didnt matter how many minners I took. When the fish hit the banks it was over for about a week/10 days then I was right back at it again. Dont know where they went-didnt look. I was catching up towards a hundred every trip right before they quit biting(lots and lots of small fish). I just took a week or so off from fishing to do some much needed work around the house and waited for the spawn to progeress enough for some of the fish to move back to deeper waters. After that it was ON AGAIN until it got so hot I didnt want to fish anymore. Caught mostly small fish after the big girls spawned though.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy here just kill them at night off their docks in spring so see no reason you can do the same thing fishing at night from your boat. Probably would set up just out from where they are spawning and maybe 10'-15' of water and probably would do great!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

One place I fish sometimes is kind of weird, one year during the spawn you may catch them during the day and the next year it may be at night. I just experiment.