Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reals

What is the difference between the types of reals? I know apperance, but what works better for what type of fishing?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Rr2 ...

the two main reels used by Crappie anglers would be the "spincast" reel and the "spinning" reel. Baitcasting reels are used, but mostly for trolling & tightlining. I'll leave them to anglers that use them, to further explain their workings & uses.

Spincast reels ... push button to disengage line holding pin, hold button down to stop line from leaving the reel, release pressure on button to allow line to leave the reel, crank handle to engage reel & retrieve line.

Underspin spincast reels ... curl finger around trigger to disengage line holding pin, upward pressure on trigger stops line from leaving the reel, release trigger to allow line to leave the reel, crank handle to engage reel & retrieve line.

Spinning reels (with trigger) ... curl finger around LINE & TRIGGER, upward pressure on trigger will open bail / finger holds line, release trigger & line to allow line to leave the reel, close bail by hand and turn handle to start retrieving line.

Spinning reels (with manual bail) ... curl finger around LINE, open bail manually with other hand, release line from finger to allow line to leave reel, close bail by hand & turn handle to start retrieving line.

OK ... so much for "mechanics".
    These reels are good for most all purposes & methods. They all have their pros & cons. .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

RiverRat,the easiest of these to use is the Spincast.Not alot of chance of much going wrong[backlash,birdsnest,ect.].Most beginners start with these then as their confort level grows ,advance to something else. With them you just push the button ,aim,cast,& release!Pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Heck-Alot of people never use anything else. crappiepappy,Super Job as usual!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    the two main reels used by Crappie anglers would be the "spincast" reel and the "spinning" reel. Baitcasting reels are used, but mostly for trolling & tightlining. I'll leave them to anglers that use them, to further explain their workings & uses.

Spincast reels ... push button to disengage line holding pin, hold button down to stop line from leaving the reel, release pressure on button to allow line to leave the reel, crank handle to engage reel & retrieve line.

Underspin spincast reels ... curl finger around trigger to disengage line holding pin, upward pressure on trigger stops line from leaving the reel, release trigger to allow line to leave the reel, crank handle to engage reel & retrieve line.

Spinning reels (with trigger) ... curl finger around LINE & TRIGGER, upward pressure on trigger will open bail / finger holds line, release trigger & line to allow line to leave the reel, close bail by hand and turn handle to start retrieving line.

Spinning reels (with manual bail) ... curl finger around LINE, open bail manually with other hand, release line from finger to allow line to leave reel, close bail by hand & turn handle to start retrieving line.

OK ... so much for "mechanics".
    These reels are good for most all purposes & methods. They all have their pros & cons. .......... cp

pappie,

Which reel do you find to be the best for using in a long pole drop situation?
    By that I mean dropping jigs into brush and or minows on a slip float.

Please give me a brand name and model that you find the best.
    I am going to Clarksville sunday to look at all kinds of goodies

Thanks,

CC
    Stay legal.

Post Thanks / Like

The reels I use doesn't look anything like any of those.

Mine is the $4 BnM plastic model. Unless you're casting, to me, anything less than a $4 reel is a waste of $$$$$. And since I don't cast, I STRICTLY VERTICAL FISH and FLIP, once I have the depth, what do I need to "reel the line in for".

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCrappie
    pappie,

Which reel do you find to be the best for using in a long pole drop situation?
    By that I mean dropping jigs into brush and or minows on a slip float.

Please give me a brand name and model that you find the best.
    I am going to Clarksville sunday to look at all kinds of goodies

Thanks,

CC
    CC ... I don't "long pole". Longest rod I use is 8ft. I'm mostly a "jig slinger" (casting/shooting) and use a variety of brands of spinning outfits. I've got Shimano's, Mitchell's, Zebco's, Shakespeare's, and even some old Diawa's. They're "matched" to rods of varying length/power/action ... for specific methods or presentations.
    I would think that one would want a reel that would "match" the rod. Not that it would have to be the same "brand", but rather that it should "balance" the end weight of the long pole. A "balanced" outfit will put less stress & strain on your wrist & arm. If it's possible, I'd put a few outfits together (in the store) and see what felt the best. If the store doesn't carry the rods you use, you might want to take a couple of your own and "mix & match" them with various reels. A balanced outfit - to me - is one that will lay horizontal on your 1st finger. Grasp the rod/reel as you would when using it - then note where your 1st finger is on the handle - remove your other fingers & hand, leaving your 1st finger in place. If the rod balances on that finger, the rod/reel are "matched". If the rod tips towards the rod, it's "tip heavy" ... if it tips towards the handle, it's "butt heavy". If you hold your rod straight out, when fishing, a balanced or butt heavy outfit will put less stress on your wrist. If you're a caster, like me, any of the three will work ... as long as they aren't "overly" heavy, and the rod tip or handle slowly tips in either direction (and doesn't quickly "fall" in either direction). Now, that's just MHO, so take it at face value.
    Not knowing what rods you have, what stores you shop, or what your budget is ... it would be hard to call. And not having any experience with "longpoles" - I wouldn't want to predjudice you on any particular type or brand of reel. What I like/use may not "fit" your equipment or style.
    Sorry if that's not much help, but I'd rather not steer you at all - than to steer you in the wrong direction. ....... luck2ya .......cp

Wardy Guest

The easiest is no doubt the under spin reel. They will cast, drop a jig, and like previously mentioned..., no prblems. Don't overlook these reels cause you feel like someone may think you are a rookie. The proof is what will hang on the other end of the pole. Look for reels with a "double line " pick up. If you use light line, the singles will cause you to have to reach up and tighten the line. Cheap ain't bad in this department. If you are gonna cast alot. The spin cast is the way to go. Spend a little bit more on these. Cheap ones will cause additional line twist and the bails will break, springs pop out etcc..etc.. Bait casters seem to work the best for trolling. For a couple more bucks.... get ones with line counters.

My $.02.... Wardy

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wardy

OFTEN THOUGHT ABOUT A UNDERSPIN,NEVER TRIED ONE---WHAT KIND AND MODEL DO YOU USE ? ---YOU,RE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF I DON,T LIKE IT [HAHAHA]
    WOULD BE USING 6 OR 8 LB. LINE
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

liston to cp he knowes his stuf
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

the zebco T-11 is about as good as you can get in the under spin - you can get them at wally world for about $12
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast