Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchors

I have always used mushrooms anchors...They really don't seem to hold that well...What anchors hold good in any type lake bottom surface?...I have bamboo condos dropped in deep water..Would like to be able to anchor close to the bamboo condos...When it is windy so don't have to fight the wind with trollling motor..

Anyone ever try this anchor buddy?

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and start laughing now, cuz this will seem like a real low rent answer to your question. I've donated as many anchors as the next guy, and have the best luck with 2 medium size mushroom anchors on a big clip on 75' of 5/16" nylon braided rope. I call the clip a "quick clip" and it looks like something used in climbing, like tree cutting or rock climbing. Small ones are used for keys. If it's too windy for them to hold, I go home.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Go out and buy a navy anchor. I have a 10 or 15 pounder and it holds really well, i have a mushroom archor sitting in my garage. Seasense Navy Anchors - iboats.com

Post Thanks / Like

i use and been using chene anchors for longer than i can remember. never lost one to a hang yet. once you get em set, they hold. they are light to. a big plus if you have back trouble.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchors

O.K., you want to anchor and stay anchored? You want to never loose another anchor again? Simple. Get a slip ring fluke and attach a 3' length of galvanized chain ahead of it. These anchors are light weight, as effective as any Navy anchor and almost impossible to loose.

If you are having trouble getting it un-stuck, you just let out some line and do a 180 degree circle around it. The ring will slip to the rear and you'll pull it free every time. And with the chain, you'll stay where you anchor every time as well.

Been doing this for a lot of years now. I've only lost one slip ring anchor in 20' of water. It got hung in a tree stump. The replacement has lasted me 9 seasons. And I anchor in rivers, lakes and reservoirs.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the suggestions...

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Switched to river anchors a few years ago, and they hold way better than the mushrooms.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I to use two navy anchors. doesnt really maatter the bottom material or the wind, they dig and hold. When done park over the anchor and haul it up.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody ever used brake rotors they work good and most of the time they are free at any tire store where they pull off and replace. Just put a good coat of paint tie the rope thru the lug holes they hold good as they lay flat and dig in. best of all if you lose it you only lose a couple of bucks for the paint also they come in different sizes.Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sick of my mushrooms pulling loose in 15 mph wind. after front anchor is set with 600' of line I then started doing the (chuck-throw-shot-put) with the back anchor. If I do that I might hold for a little longer.

You almost need two people for anchoring in the wind. That way you can drive back and forth to set both anchors.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast