Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Inflatable belts as a PFD?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inflatable belts as a PFD?

Have any of you had any experience with these life belts. Just wandered
    your thoughts on them. I try to get my father to wear a jacket to no evail
    and thought about getting him one of those for fathers day. BP has them for around $60.

Post Thanks / Like

spend a little more and get a mustang self inflatable vest, got one couple years ago and love it.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear inflatable belts when fishing Mississippi since you are required to have one on anytime you are under power with your outboard down there. They are very comfortable. Dont even realize it is on and it meets their requirements.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

My impression w/ those are they do the job as long as you know how to swim. Like speck said if you gotta wear something, they are the most comfortable, and do not limit your movement, but ....If you are using it for someone who doesn't swim well I would go with a full vest, they certainly won't keep your head outta the water if (god forbid) you knock yourself out somehow.
    Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrsRLSIV View Post
    My impression w/ those are they do the job as long as you know how to swim. Like speck said if you gotta wear something, they are the most comfortable, and do not limit your movement, but ....If you are using it for someone who doesn't swim well I would go with a full vest, they certainly won't keep your head outta the water if (god forbid) you knock yourself out somehow.
    I learned that when I learned to water ski, the belt will make you float but a full vest will keep your head up out of the water.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I wear one when I'm duck hunting, just because its very comfortable AND doesn't interfere when I shoulder my shotgun. HOWEVER, they won't do you a darned bit of good if you hit your head in a boat vs object collision - if you are disoriented or unconscious, your rescuers will find you floating flat on your back, face up, dangling under the inflated pillow, with your head (and feet) under water. Another downside is that they aren't really throwable. But in my case (duckhunting), I won't wear a 'normal' vest or one of the full mustang collar vests, so the belt is MUCH better than nothing at all (especially running up the mississippi river at 3:30am).
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

I wear an inflatable life belt I bought from Cabelas, but they have since discontinued it. Here is info on one similar. http://www.defender.com/realproduct.jsp?path=-1|135|439|320548|368283&id=911027

I had a habit of removing my life vest when I pulled into a fishing spot, so with this I leave it on all the time just in case a huge Crappie pulls me overboard:D
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to agree with beagle. I bought a inflatable vest this winter and it is comfortable and will keep your head out of water. Foget I even have it on sometimes. A little extra money goes a long way when a life is involved.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree completly with Vince and Mike. When a life maybe even yours is at stake buy the best you can afford. I bought one this year and love it. I always leave it in my truck. When I get out to get the boat ready I put it on and I don't take it off until I get back in the truck from strapping the boat down. With a wife and 4 kids to come home to I feel it was money well spent.